Audience: K-12 teachers and supervisors of science curriculum who teach or supervise the teaching of units with significant weather and climate content.
Objectives: Project Atmosphere is directed toward improving teacher effectiveness in generating interest and understanding in science, technology, and mathematics among K-12 students.
Project Atmosphere is intended to:
- introduce teachers to selected atmospheric science topics and issues
- explore and identify ways in which these understandings and concepts can be employed in school curriculum
- prepare course participants to conduct training sessions on selected meteorology topics and issues for teachers in their local community
- support training sessions held by these teachers, on a continuing basis, with instructional resource materials, scientific guidance, and opportunities to interact with professionals in the atmospheric science field
- facilitate interdisciplinary and cross institutional networking opportunities and leverage the existing institutional connections between Pennsylvania Western University (PennWest), AMS, the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA), and the National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA).