Audience: K-12 teachers and supervisors of science curriculum who teach or supervise the teaching of units with significant climate content.
Objectives: Project Ice is directed towards improving teacher effectiveness in generating interest and understandings in science, technology, engineering, and mathematics among K-12 students.
Project Ice is intended to:
- introduce teachers to polar science, ice core analysis, paleoclimate, and climate change topics
- explore and identify ways in which these understandings and concepts can be employed in school studies
- prepare course attendees to conduct training sessions on selected climate topics and issues for teachers in their local community
- support training sessions held by these teachers, on a continuing basis, with instructional resource materials, scientific guidance, and opportunities to interact with professionals in the climate field.
- facilitate interdisciplinary and cross institutional networking opportunities and leverage the existing institutional connections between Pennsylvania Western University (PennWest), AMS, the National Science Foundation-supported Center for Oldest Ice Exploration (COLDEX), and Oregon State University.