We have several ongoing initiatives at the Society and Annual Meeting
- The Early Career Leadership Academy (ECLA) is a collaboration between the Board on Representation, Accessibility, Inclusion, and Diversity (BRAID) and the Board on Early Career Professionals (BECP). ECLA brings together early career individuals - in particular, women and underrepresented groups - for an immersion experience in building leadership skills.
- BRAID administers an AMS membership survey, develops recommendations on accessibility at AMS meetings, and leads relevant DEI sessions and networking events at AMS Annual Meetings.
- In 2020, and in coordination with the Board on Early Career Professionals, BRAID hosted a webinar series, The World Through My Eyes, which highlights AMS members with differing abilities.
- AMS Policy Program - Framework for the Advancement of Inclusion, Equity, and Justice in the Weather, Water, and Climate Enterprise
- Equity, Inclusion, & Justice content in BAMS: The equity, inclusion, and justice (EIJ) write ups in BAMS aim to support the educational and professional EIJ practices from those employed in the weather, water, climate enterprise and related sciences.
Accessibility & Inclusivity at the Annual Meetings
The AMS Annual Meeting provides networking opportunities for women and historically underrepresented identities, including the annual Women in Atmospheric Sciences Luncheon and the Coriolis and Colour of Weather receptions. In 2022, the Annual Meeting hosted the Third Symposium on Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion and conducted a survey to review our accessibility practices and policies. The Fourth Symposium on Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion will be held in 2023 in Denver. For more information on Safety and Inclusivity as well as Accessibility at the Annual Meeting please visit our website.
AMS is initiating an Equity Assessment (EA) process to allow the organization to fully integrate equity, inclusion, and justice (EIJ) into its programmatic activities and policies, foster a sense of belonging for its membership, and guide the activities of the Society over the short- and long-term.