Committee on Artificial Intelligence Applications to Environmental Science
- 7-19-2021: AMS Annual Meeting submission deadline extended to Sept 1 with new virtual option available.
- 1-10-2021: New website compiles machine learning datasets from around the community: http://mldata.pangeo.io/
The mission of this Committee is to ensure that members of the Society are informed about and encouraged to use modern artificial intelligence techniques that can contribute meaningfully to their scientific research and algorithm development activities. The term artificial intelligence denotes a large body of advanced computer techniques for data analysis, knowledge discovery and operational system development that have been productively applied to a large number of scientific and industrial applications.
The Committee believes that significant opportunity exists to further the aims of the Society by applying AI techniques to problems in meteorology and related disciplines. Society members concerned with artificial intelligence may include forecasters who wish to improve forecast skill; psychologists who wish to improve the human forecasting environment by using intelligent computer assistance; statisticians who are interested in evaluating the performance of both humans and machines; researchers who wish to create an organized base of current meteorological knowledge; and computer scientists who wish to develop sophisticated and useful computer programs for handling the immense datasets and complex systems inherent to meteorology.
The functions of the Committee on Artificial Intelligence Applications to Environmental Science are:
- to encourage the use of artificial intelligence techniques to advance those fields of endeavor of interest to the Society;
- to support the creation of high quality expository and research publications on the use of artificial intelligence in the environmental sciences (meteorology, climatology, oceanography, hydrology, etc.), particularly in the Society’s journals;
- to assess new results from the field of artificial intelligence for efficacy and for relevance to environmental science and related applications;
- to foster AI collaborations between industry and the environmental science academic community;
- to provide educational opportunities on the applications of artificial intelligence in the environmental sciences;
- to encourage researchers in the field of artificial intelligence to address problem areas that are of interest to the Society;
- to serve as a communications link and focal point for discussions among Society members who are using, or who would like to use, artificial intelligence techniques;
- to interact with other AMS committees and other societies in matters involving artificial intelligence;
- to encourage and support, as appropriate, sessions focusing on the use of artificial intelligence in the Society's topical meetings; and
- to sponsor and organize, on behalf of the Society, topical meetings and special sessions on the applications of artificial intelligence to environmental science.