Thank you for agreeing to chair a session at the 34th Conference on Agricultural and Forest Meteorology/Fifth Conference on Atmospheric Biogeosciences Virtual Meeting, to be held virtually 21-23 June 2021.
Session Chair Trainings
You can sign up for either of these training sessions here.
*These trainings are not specific to our conference and do include more general information. These will be recorded and posted on the website.
SESSION CHAIR TAG-UP MEETING:
- Monday, 21 June at 9:00AM eastern
- Tuesday, 22 June at 10:30AM eastern
- Wednesday, 23 June at 10:30AM eastern
Zoom link invites to attend the session chair tag-up meetings will be sent 1 week prior to the meeting.
Session Chair Responsibilities
Since this meeting will take place virtually, many elements of the meeting, including session chair responsibilities, are a bit different than in the past. A few important items to note:
BEFORE THE MEETING
- Register for the 34th Conference on Agricultural and Forest Meteorology/Fifth Conference on Atmospheric Biogeosciences Virtual Meeting as soon as possible to ensure that you receive all relevant information regarding attending the meeting virtually. You must register by 11 June in order to serve as session chair. If you are not registered by 30 April, we will assume that you are unable to serve as session chair, will remove your name from the conference agenda, and will look for a replacement.
- Reach out to the speakers in your session directly to confirm their participation in the live session and remind them to upload their files by 11 June. AMS will email you the contact information for your speakers on so that you can reach out and get back to us.
- Familiarize yourself with the use of the Zoom Webinar platform. For more information, please see here: https://zoom.us/docs/doc/Zoom-Video-Webinars-FAQ.pdf
- Attend the Live Session Chair/Volunteer Training Session tailored for your session type. Dates will be determined a month prior to the meeting.
- While we strongly encourage Volunteers to attend Training Sessions, please note that they will be recorded and posted afterwards.
- The virtual meeting platform will launch on 14 June 2021. Please plan to log into the platform, familiarize yourself with its features, add your session into your agenda, and view any pre-recorded and homework content submitted by speakers (especially for any of your sessions so that you are prepared to properly introduce your speakers and moderate the Q&A), and poster presenters, from 10-14 May 2021.
DURING THE MEETING
- All live technical sessions will take place via Zoom Webinar. Log into Zoom through the platform 15 minutes before your scheduled session time. Accessing the Zoom webinar through the platform will ensure you are able to join the session early to meet with tech support and your speakers, as well as be able to speak and show your webcam during the session.
- Make welcoming remarks/housekeeping notes at the beginning of your session. We will provide a script for these remarks at a later date. The first five minutes of each session is set aside for attendees to join the zoom webinar and for you to make these welcoming remarks. Please do not start your speakers before those five minutes are up.
- Session Chairs will have the ability to upload a slide for their welcoming remarks/housekeeping.
- Summary Slides should be no larger than 2GB
- Summary Slides should be in one of these three formats; ppt, jpeg or png
- Session Chairs will be provided with a link to upload their summary slide by the 15 April 2021.
- Introduce each speaker in your session.
- Make poster session(s) transition (i.e. welcoming remarks/housekeeping notes) at the end of your session. We will provide a script for these remarks at a later date. The last five minutes of each session is set aside for session chairs to introduce the poster session(s) and posters. Please note this is only for the sessions taking place right before poster sessions.
- Keep your session running on time. Use of a stopwatch on your phone can be helpful here. If a speaker is about to run over, please send them a message through the Zoom Webinar chat to ask them to wrap up When time is up, you will signal the end of the speaker’s time by turning on your webcam to introduce the next speaker.
- Moderate Q&A portions of your session. We will be collecting questions through the Zoom Chat. Attendees will type their questions into the chat during live sessions. Prepare at least one question per speaker in the event that the audience does not ask any questions.
- Should you need any assistance during your session, please reach out to technical support or the student volunteer assigned to your session. Before or after your session, please contact the program chair, who can connect you with the applicable AMS staff member.
Please let Meghan Summers (email@example.com) know as soon as possible if you are unable to serve as session chair for your session so that we may find a replacement. The earlier you let us know, the more smoothly the session and annual meeting will go.
The virtual meeting platform will launch on 14 June 2021. Please plan to log into the platform, familiarize yourself with its features, add your session into your agenda, and view any pre-recorded and homework content submitted by speakers (especially for any of your sessions so that you are prepared to properly introduce your speakers and moderate the Q&A), poster and presenters, from 21-23 June 2021.
Please note that some sessions have been assigned two session chairs so that you may split the above responsibilities. We encourage you to reach out to your co-chair to discuss your session, especially the Q&A portion.
Important Dates for Speakers and Session Chairs:
- 31 May: Session Homework upload form and Poster Homework upload form open for speakers to upload their files and homework content (must do so by 11 June)
- 11 June: Deadline for Speakers and Poster Presenters to Upload Content/Files
- 14 June: Virtual Meeting Platform Goes Live for Registered Attendees
- Attend a Speakers & Moderators Training. These take place Tuesdays at 4:00pm (Eastern). You can sign up for either of these training sessions here. *Please note: these trainings are not specific to our conference and do include more general information. These will be recorded and posted on the website.
- 11 June: Deadline for all Speakers, Poster Presenters, Program Chairs and Session Chairs to Register for the Meeting.
- 21-23 June: Live Sessions take Place in the Virtual Meeting Platform