Chapter News
October 2010


CCAMS Meeting Minutes 10/29/10


*AMS Conference decision deadline is next Friday, November 5th

              If you are interested in and committed to going to the conference, it is mandatory that you reply to Matt’s email (look out for this in the next day or so). 

              In the email, include: if you are receiving outside funding or not, if you want funding       

If you do want funding for the conference, please write a brief description of why you are attending the conference and what you plan to do while you are there or what you hope to get out of the experience.  Also, conference attendees should be prepared to write a short article for Ithacation next semester. 

              Please keep in mind that funding money will be in the form of a reimbursement- you will not have possession of the funds at the time you book your flight, register for the conference, etc.

CCAMS funds:

-          We discussed the allocation of leftover CCAMS funds for this year: allocated to jerseys for CCAMS softball team, day trips, other conferences (North East Storms Conference in the spring), outreach events, Forecast Contest prize, and Alumni Weekend


-          Please give your dues to David!  It’s really important that we receive dues so that we can do all the things we hope to do this year.   Remember: $20 for the year or $10 per semester (first semester free for transfers and first-years)

Snowfall Contest:

-          Join the Facebook event we have created!  Invite all your friends and collect $1 for a guess!  Half the profits go to the winner!  There is also a paper form of the submission available- see David, Nikki, or Professor Wysocki

Upcoming Activities:

-          November trip to Niagara Falls in the making!  Look for an email coming soon from Torey with the details!---Sarah Lynagh.



October Newsletter---Andrea Bleistein.



Meeting Minutes for October 14, 2010

I.  Call to Order

The second NWA/AMS meeting was opened by AMS Corresponding Secretary, Mr. Eric Carpenter, scheduled at 7 p.m.  This meeting had all the new officers and roles in place for 2010/2011, under Mr. Vincent Webb as the new Central Mississippi NWA President, and Dr. Loren White continuing in the role as AMS President.  The meeting opened at the Golden Corral Buffet and Grill in Flowood, MS.

II. Rolls

The organization’s Recording Secretary Ms. Nancy Lopez took attendance.  There were 20 total attendees present, consisting of members and guests, with approximately six being guests.  Affiliations and e-mails were collected by sign-in sheet. 

III. Minutes Approval

Mr. Carpenter briefly discussed the minutes from the September 28 meeting, which were approved with a change in Recording Secretary noted. 


IV. New Business

Mr. Carpenter welcomed the alumni in town for the Jackson State University 35th anniversary celebration, and he briefed the Chapter on the event.  

Ms. Joanne Culin, Treasurer, gave an update on the current dues fund.  She reported $60 had been collected, and that collections were being accepted at the meeting via check or cash.  She discussed plans to start a bank account, but that a minimum balance of $100.00 was required.  Four members paid during the meeting, with new collections being enough to open an account.

Mr. Carpenter introduced guest Mr. Richard Hartung from the Time Out Café, and gave a plug for his restaurant, with an emphasis on his excellent barbecue. 

Mr. Carpenter announced the official change of Recording Secretary from Mr. Ariel Cohen who stepped down last month, to Ms. Nancy Lopez who accepted the role.  


The meeting was then turned over to Mr. Ashton Robinson, invited as a special guest speaker and research assistant from the Storm Prediction Center (SPC) in Norman, Oklahoma.  Mr. Robinson started his student career in the Jackson network, and he isn’t done yet.  He is working on his Ph.D. at Oklahoma University, and talked to the Chapter on his dissertation research called, “Statistical Relationships Between the El Niño Southern Oscillation, the NAO, and Winter Tornado Outbreaks in the U.S.”  

After the question and answer session, Ms. Latrice Maxie of NWS, announced that there were a few more places available for the banquet at Jackson State University on Friday, October 15, 2010, and to call if interested.

V.  Adjournment

The meeting concluded at approximately 8:25 p.m.  The next meeting date is not yet scheduled.---Nancy Lopez.



October 6, 2010 GBM Minutes

Attendance: 36 (Including Exec. Board)

Start Time: 7:01 P.M

Sam – President – Sam greeted the club and started off by talking about the conference.  Due to our debt and the position of our club, we cannot send out our letters to last year’s attendees and decide what food to have during the banquet.  Once the debt is made up, we can start with these procedures.   

Matt- VP- Matt got more pizza man gift cards and is looking for help to sell them across campus.   Remember that pizza man night is this Monday, October 11th, and if you signed up, please show up to help raise money for the club.  Internship night will be November 9th, and told anyone presenting to make a power point presentation and give a talk about your internship for ten minutes.  Finally, the website is still in a working progress, and will be worked on Friday and over the weekend. 

George-Secretary- George started off by mentioning that the events are updated and can be seen on the website.  Events will be updated after the first inch contest is over.  If your name is in red, that means that person has not paid their dues and cannot be active.  Also to note that if you have not filled out a registration sheet, please do so you can be put on the roster.  Finally the bulletin board will be worked on over the weekend.

Laura-Treasurer- Laura gave us a recap of how much money we fundraised over all the events we did in September and we made a little over one-thousand dollars.   If you have not paid your club dues yet ($10), please pay as soon as possible.  Finally, the deadline to reach half way to our debt is on October 17th.  So far we need to pay off $500 before that time, which should be reached.

Ben- Public Relations- Ben mentioned current events and upcoming events.  There’s still one more week left in the first inch contest, and the flag football tournament will be on October 30th.  Ben will hold a captains meeting 2 weeks before the event for anyone participating in the tournament. 

Garrett - Community Outreach- Garrett wants to arrange school visits around the area.  Garrett was interested if anyone in the club will help or go to school visits to get kids interested in meteorology.

Ali- Historian - Ali made a collage of the Fall BBQ which was a lot of fun.

Garrett- Department Meeting Advisor- There is no set schedule for the spring yet.  Need to go through other departments to get there approval.

The Executive Board then presented the 8th person award, which goes to the most active member of the month.  The winner of the 8th person award for the month of September is Ashley Squires.

Then the meeting finished with a candy raffle. 

End Time: 7:25 P.M---George J. Krauszer II. 



Thursday, October 14, 2010

Kent Frantz, chapter President, opened the meeting and introduced himself to everyone. He also had each of the 20 attendees introduce themself to the chapter as there were a few new members at the meeting. Jessica Fieux provided a brief review of the September meeting minutes.  Sean Miller gave a treasurers report; we have 21 paid members and $1,601.94 in the bank account.

Kent Frantz introduced the speaker for the evening, James Belanger, a Ph.D. candidate at Georgia Tech and lead hurricane forecaster for Climate Forecast Applications Network (CFAN). The title of the talk was Tropical Cyclone Predictability: Review of the 2010 Hurricane Season. The talk was broken into four sections – review of 2010 Atlantic Seasonal Outlooks, recap of 2010 tropical cyclone activity, short-term tropical cyclone predictability, and intraseasonal tropical cyclone forecasts.

All agencies providing seasonal forecasts predicted above normal tropical cyclone activity in the Atlantic during the 2010 hurricane season due to La Nina, record sea surface temperatures and the tropical multi-decadal signal. CFAN predicted approximately 9 hurricanes this season. They use a hybrid scheme involving wind shear and north Atlantic sea surface temperatures in addition to forecast and observation history based on a period from 1981 to 2009.

Above normal tropical cyclone activity has been observed this season. There have been 9 hurricanes, five of which became major hurricanes. This is compared to the climatological averages of 6 hurricanes and 2 major hurricanes.  Multiple records have been set this year including two simultaneous category four hurricanes (last seen in 1926) and four category four storms or greater in 20 days (last record was 24 days in 1999). In addition, the fastest intensification from depression to hurricane was observed with hurricane Paula and no major hurricane has made landfall in the U.S. for five consecutive years (last seen in 1910-1914). This year there were two preferential areas for tropical cyclone formation – the eastern Atlantic and the western Caribbean. The eastern Atlantic/Cape Verde storms were able to re-curve over the Atlantic, rather than making landfall in the U.S., due to the weaker than normal subtropical ridge over the Atlantic.

CFAN provides short term (1-15 days) probabilistic forecasts for genesis, track and intensity based on the ECMWF Variable Ensemble Prediction System (ocean-atmosphere coupled). The verification done by CFAN of their forecasts indicates tropical cyclone genesis predictability through five days and their false alarm rates (FAR) remain low, 15% using moderate (30-60%) risks and 10% using high (60%+) risk. Intensity forecasts remain a challenge. The most predictable region this year was the production region (oil region in northern Gulf of Mexico).

Intraseasonal tropical cyclone forecasting (16-32 days) was also discussed. Benefits of this include additional lead time for disaster mitigation and the development of hedging strategies. The location of the Madden-Julian Oscillation (MJO) has a major impact on the intraseasonal forecast. Using model based output and looking at the MJO propagation over the 32 day period, some points can be inferred. Remember though, this is based on the model prediction of MJO and not observation. When the MJO is centered over the Indian Ocean, activity is enhanced in the North Atlantic. When the MJO moves over the maritime continental region, below normal activity is observed in the north Atlantic except for above normal activity along the African coast. When the MJO shifts even further east and into the western hemisphere, above normal activity is observed in the Bay of Campeche/western Caribbean.

Kent concluded the meeting by thanking James for his presentation and presenting him with an AMS mug. The next meeting will be Thursday, November 18, 2010 at Barnes and Noble (Tech Square). Dr. Vince Radke will discuss Environmental Health Hazards and Impacts due to Flooding.---Jessica Fieux.



Meeting Type: General Meeting/Speaker Series

Meeting Date: October 27, 2010

Attendance: ~ 50

Meeting in Session: 8:30pm

Introduction (President: Joe Moore)

Update on Social Event, Field of Screams (Secretary: Erica Dolinar)

Speaker: Rick Schwartz – “Hurricanes in the Mid-Atlantic States”

Meeting out of Session: 9:40pm 


Meeting Type: General Meeting/Speaker Series

Meeting Date: October 28, 2010

Attendance: ~ 35

Meeting in Session: 4:30pm

Welcome (President: Joe Moore)

Update on Merchandise (Treasurer: DJ Hoffman)

Speaker: Dr. Robert Loughman, Chair of the Atmospheric and Planetary Sciences Department at            Hampton University

Meeting out of Session: 5:50pm---Erica Dolinar.




Second Meeting, October 26, 2010 

a.  Fundraiser Event



Wednesday, Oct. 7th
Meeting began: 11:14

Treasurer Report

Secretary Report

Vice President Report

President Report


For everyone that didn't attend the meeting on October 12th you missed some very nice presentations from our very own Nicole Grams about the use of GIS to verify the SLOSH models associated with storm serge, as well as Kyle Clem's presentation on Broadcast Meteorology.


Homecoming was a huge success! Thank you everyone that came out and helped Mr. Langen with the banner and walked in the parade. Our banner came in second place for the parade.


Dr. Fogt had a meeting with Jill Harris, which went very well. Fogt said that they are willing to do whatever it takes to get the campus StormReady. This is amazing news since last year people were laughing at us about trying to get us StormReady. Lets make it happen! Cody Jones, Shaun Lynch, and I are working on getting everything we need.

Relief Efforts

Nicole took the donations that we obtained for the tornado relief to the Red Cross. They were extremely happy with everything that we brought to them that they want us to keep them coming. They really appreciated everything we have done to help them. So lets keep those donations coming!


We have had a few events that took place in October

-The AMS Chapter placed second in the Homecoming parade thanks to the efforts from Ryan Langen

- Fall Jamboree

   Nicole hosted a get together at her apartment for everyone that wanted to carve pumpkins and have fall treats on  October 22nd

- The intramural volleyball team is continuing to play on Tuesdays

Upcoming Events

- We are planning to have a doughnut sale along with a calendar sale for the beginning of next quarter.---Alex Steinkamp.



This month our chapter had a Radar Field Trip. We visited the Oklahoma University Prime Radar and the radars on Norman North Research Campus, including the PAR. Our tours included us climbing up into the radars, some of which were 40 meters high! It was an adrenaline rush and a learning experience all in one. Our general meeting for this month featured NEWS9 meteorologist Jed Castles who enlightened us on the field of broadcast meteorology.---Kait Smoleroff.


27 Oct 2010 Meeting Minutes

Grisantis Restaurant

Barb called the meeting to order at 6:22 p.m., and greeted the members and guests.  We had 24 members attending the meeting.

President’s Report (Barb Mayes):

She announced the meetings for both November and December:

Date: Thursday, 11 November 2010

Location: McKenna's Blues, Booze, and BBQ (7425 Pacific St., Omaha, NE 68114)


Time: 11:00 AM - 2:00 PM

Lunch Cost: $10 per person

Speaker: Phil Schumacher, NWS Sioux Falls, South Dakota

The title of Mr. Schumacher's talk is "Precipitation Regimes Associated with Inverted Troughs: A composite study and comparative case study".

Date: Wednesday, 8 December 2010

Location: TBD

Time: Evening (TBD)

Speaker: Mr. John Ogren, Director of the National Weather Service Training Center

Barb reiterated about our food drive at meetings.  There will be a collection barrel at every meeting.

Treasurer’s Report (Fritz VanWijngaarden):

              Beginning balance =  $773.79

              Closing balance = $1378.00

Recording Secretary’s Report (Karen Harder-Sittel): September minutes were submitted to the National Chapter, and posted to Facebook.  Our website is down, so the minutes were not posted there.  This morning Rose sent the minutes to everyone via email. Motion was carried to submit the minutes to the record. 

Vice President’s Report (Kristen George): on travel.

Corresponding Secretary's Report (Rose Tseng): at class.

Old business: none

New business:

Website:  We want to move our website towards a more Wikipedia-style site, and would like a committee to help Christy Carlson in the chapter website development.  Jay Martinelli said he would be willing to be part of this committee.  Email Jay with your ideas at, and to assist.  Ken Dewey will check on the National AMS chapter allocation for local website development.

AMS and NWA:  We have many chapters around us that have a co-affiliation with the NWA.  The best reasons for a joint affiliation:  Another national organization to support us, and money allocations for speakers, for which the NWA had less limitations.  Also, there would be exposure to more operational focus.

Disadvantage:  The local chapter president would have to be a member of the both National chapters. 

Barb opened the discussion to the members:

Several members spoke including Phillip Johnson, who said he would welcome the opportunity.  Bruce Telfeyan spoke of his affiliation with the NWA.  He feels it would be a good idea to pursue.  Someone said that several decades there were some concern with becoming a joint chapter, but those days are long gone.  There was no negative feedback received.  Barb wanted us to hold off and discuss this at subsequent meetings for additional feedback from other members.  Motion to table the discussion was passed.

Open to the Floor:

Phillip Johnson announced that Joseph Hanser will be moving to VA for a new job opportunity. Joe has been a member of our chapter for almost 20 years.  A going away party is to be held at Nebraska Brewing Company Monday, Nov 1 @ 1630.

Dr. John Zapotocny announced that, at long last, the weather station donated by our chapter to the Air Force Weather Agency is online:


(updates every 5-min)


(updates every few seconds)


Move to allocate $150 for Science Fair prizes. Call to a vote: passed.


Business meeting adjourned at 6:45 pm.




Michael Hayes:  National Drought Mitigation Center (NDMC), School of Natural Resources, UNL.

Please see:

Mike spoke about “Drought Chasing”.  This was an informative talk about drought, and the work that the NDMC does.  The speaker was very engaging and entertaining, and we thank him for coming out to speak with us about the NDMC’s mission and accomplishments.---Karen Harder-Sittel.




October Meeting Minutes.---Lindsay Rice.



We had our second meeting of the semester this past on October 5th. Instead of inviting a speaker to come talk to our chapter, we decided to do something a little different. The theme of our meeting was, "What I did during summer vacation" and we had several students present information regarding their research and interesting internship opportunities over the summer. In all, we covered student opportunities such as SCEP, SOARS, undergraduate research with professors within the department, and broadcasting. The main goal of this meeting was to inform all of the students of the many opportunities available to them within the field of meteorology. After discussing some upcoming events and the next meeting time, we concluded our meeting with pizza, birthday cake, and other refreshments.---Allison Podbielski.



The October meeting, held at Telvent/DTN in Burnsville, was called to order at 7:00pm by President Chris Bovitz. Introductions of the dozen or so members present were made. Bovitz read the September 2010 meeting minutes and they were approved with no adjustments by those present.

Treasurer Bryan Howell presented the financial state of the chapter and reviewed last year. During the 2009-2010 chapter year $739 were taken in and $878 were spent; a decrease of $139 in assets. The chapter now has $184 in the bank and $175 in cash, for a total of $359. These figures represent the financial state of the chapter before any dues were collected at the October meeting.

Paper copies of the proposed Bylaws and the Constitutional Amendments was distributed to the members in attendance. Chris briefly reviewed both, and each was approved by a voice vote of the members present. (Ed. – see the September and October 2010 newsletters for the full text of the proposed bylaws and proposed amendments.) …

Next on the agenda was discussion of chapter sponsorship of the Minnesota Storm Chasing Convention which will take place on Saturday, February 26, 2011, in Maple Grove. The keynote speaker will be Tim Samaras. The chapter can have a small table at no cost. It was generally agreed that the chapter should sponsor the convention and use the table.

The next big event on the horizon is the Northern Plains Winter Storm Workshop which will be held in St. Cloud on November 15-16th, 2010. There was discussion about when and where the chapter’s November meeting will be held, due to the workshop taking place one week before our normal meeting time. The November meeting will most likely be moved to take place the same week as the workshop, but final details still need to be ironed out. An announcement will be made through email, the website and the November newsletter to the membership about the meeting date and time.

Chris Bovitz then shared the letter he received from the national AMS awarding our chapter Outstanding Chapter of The Year for last year. There will be a formal presentation at the January 2011 Annual AMS meeting in Seattle. This is the first time our chapter has been selected – congratulations were offered all around, and especially to last year’s officers: President Chris Bovitz, Vice President Matt Friedlein, Treasurer Bryan Howell and Secretary/Editor Kevin Huyck. A special thanks was given to Matt Friedlein for his good work in putting together our application.

Discussion turned back to the upcoming November meeting, which will most likely be held at St. Thomas University in St. Paul. The topic will be the June 2010 tornado outbreak in Minnesota. Storm chaser stories are needed as well as contributions from the Grand Forks and Duluth NWS offices. The officers are also working on finding local emergency managers to speak.

Matt Friedlein is still working on, and still needs help with, the chapter poster. The poster will be displayed at the annual AMS meeting.

Member Doug Dokken shared the news that he and Member Kurt Scholz had attended the 3M Teachers’ Workshop.

The meeting was adjourned at 7:30pm.---Chris Bovitz.



Monthly Meeting:  Friday, October 22, 2010


The second meeting of the UAH student chapter of the AMS for the academic year began at 12:50 pm on Friday, October 22, 2010, with President Rob Junod calling it to order. The meeting began with guest speaker Dr. Sundar Christopher of UAHuntstville Atmospheric science department presenting his professional development seminar on the myths and facts of the graduate research assistant.  Those interested in attending Dr. Christopher’s professional development class, or have questions, are encouraged to contact him at

Next, President Junod discussed the National AMS meeting in Seattle next January.  He announced that the department will fund two AMS members, Sandy LaCorte and Ryan Wade, to attend the conference.  He went on to inquire which students would be in attendance, and of those who would be available to staff the chapter’s table.  It was also announced that Sandy LaCorte will be the head designer of the AMS poster for the conference chapter poster contest.  Anyone who would like to assist should contact her.  The Department Picnic is on Friday, October 29, in Shelby Center room 303 from four to six pm.  All students are invited and encouraged to bring a pot-luck item.  There is a sign-up sheet next to Lori’s office to signify which item you intend to bring. 

Following these announcements, Treasurer Ken Leppert stated that dues for the year would be $10 and should be paid as soon as possible.  As head of the fundraising committee, Treasurer Leppert announced that all Yankee Candle fundraisers are due as soon as possible, preferable before the end of the day. 

After the financial report, Education and Outreach chair Sandy LaCorte was congratulated and thanked for her hard work on the outreach program, Rocket City Weather Fest.  She then presented her thanks to all the volunteers who assisted with the program.  Ms. LaCorte presented the budget and breakdown of expenses and proceeds from the event.  76 dollars were raised in donation to the American Red Cross to assist with disaster relief; a unanimous agreement to add 24 dollars to the donation was passed.  The feed back from those in attendance of the event was mostly positive with a few suggestions on how to improve next year.  If there are any suggestions, please contact Sandy LaCorte.  Ms. LaCorte also requested volunteers for the Girls in Science Day.  Women of the department are especially encouraged to participate in this event.

Next, Secretary Crystal Woodard announced the plan for social events.  Thursday, November 4th, will be a bowling social, details will be emailed before the end of the coming week.  An ice-skating social was agreed to be scheduled for a date after the last day of finals.  Chapter apparel was also discussed.  Design ideas for T-shirts should be submitted before the end of the semester, and in the spring the clothing will be ordered.

In conclusion of the meeting, Mr. Junod announced the chapter was selected for AMS Honor Roll.  Congratulations!

There were 12 members in attendance, and the meeting was ended at 2:00 pm.  Our next meeting will be November 19th.---Crystal Woodard.



October 14th Minutes

UM AMS Student Chapter and Atmospheric Sciences Club 

1.      Research Opportunities at RSMAS

a.      Why and How?

                                                    i.     Work for semester credits or hourly pay

                                                   ii.     Can turn into Departmental/ Honors thesis

b.      General Areas of Research

                                                    i.     Cloud Physics (Albrecht; Zuidema)

                                                   ii.     Hurricanes (Chen, Majumdar, Nolan)

                                                  iii.     Tropical Meteorology (Mapes, Zhang)

                                                  iv.     Climate Change (Clement, Kirtman,  Soden)

                                                   v.     Air-Sea Interaction (Shay)

                                                  vi.     Others: numerical modeling, remote sensing, experimental oceanography


c.      Opportunities available

                                                    i.     Boundary layer/ upper ocean dynamics research


                                                   ii.     Tropical Meteorology (1-2 positions)

§  Chidong Zhang<><>

                                                  iii.     Hurricanes (1-2 Positions)

§  Prof Sharan Majumdar<><>

                                                  iv.     Cloud physics (1 position)

§  Bruce Albrecht<>

                                                   v.     Reanalysis of historical data for extreme events

§  Brian Mapes    more contact later

                                                  vi.     Stratus Cloud Decks and Satellite Data

§  Will require learning IDL

§  Paquita Zuidema

d.      Full list to be distributed through e-mail

2.      Instruments on rooftop of Cox

3.      Ungar Renovation – Meteorology Flat-screen?

a.      Atmo Club to spearhead the programming

4.      Give your Dues to Stefanie

a.      As soon as dues are in, t-shirts can be ordered

b.      Please e-mail her to meet with her to give you her dues if you have not already

5.      VP and Fundraising Chair nominations for Spring!

a.      We will be voting on positions NEXT MEETING October

6.      Chi Epsilon Pi Meteorological honor society

a.      GPA 3.4 requirement

b.      Looking for new members!

c.      Nov. 4th speaker

d.      Nov 18th speaker

7.      Writing Effectively Seminar - SEEDS

a.      RSVP info on COSO!

                                                    i.     The entire event information is posted

b.      Cox 266 9AM – 4PM

8.      Sign up to volunteer South Beach Weekend Outlook Forecasts for the upcoming weekends

a.      George has the list of people signed up – e-mail him for availability

9.      CoCoRahs – Community Collaborative Rain, Hail, and Snow Network

a.      Organization information to be posted on COSO and Facebook group

b.      Our group will become volunteers for a rain gauge site

c.      We will begin pending requested funds from SAFAC for the rain gauge

10.   End of the Year Banquet will be at the Rusty Pelican!

a.      We will vote for the date on our Nov. 4th meeting

11.   If you did not attend the meeting and you definitely want to go to Seattle and are going to make the commitment to go, including fundraising, e-mail George by Monday

12.   Next Meeting to be held at RSMAS; Careers in Marine and Atmospheric Science and Policy will be from 6:00-9:00

a.     “All students and alumni who plan to attend the presentation should RSVP to Megan Garber at “

b.     RSVP to sign up for a shuttle ride over to RSMAS; the club cannot offer transportation at this time, pending driver forms and checks from COSO---George H. Houck IV.



Minutes from:

October 12, 2010

Odegard Hall Rm. 356

5:15 p.m.

Members Present: (27)


Al Borho- Adviser

Matt Sarri- President

Miranda Hilgers- Vice President

Scott Rowe- Treasurer

Justin Weber- Secretary

Mike Lanciki

Tim Logan

Carl Becker

Shawn Palmquist

Julia Simonson

Emily Pogatshnik

Katie Link

Karen Larson

Joel Siegel

Andrea Neumann

Carey Amiot

Amanda Mills

Alex Zarnowski

Nichole Shotwell

Dan Koller

Jenn Duurele

Meghan O’Connell

Emily Voss

Holly Robak

Travis Toth

Matt Clegg

Matt Barrett

Call to Order:

Vice President Miranda Hilgers called the AMS meeting to order at 5:20PM

Officer Reports:


President’s Report: N.R

Vice-President’s Report: N.R

Secretary’s Report: N.R

Treasurer’s Report: N.R

Old Business:

*Dues- Due today. Get dues to Scott ASAP!

*Girl Scouts- Girl scouts enjoyed the workshop. Will work on getting photos up on Facebook.

*Photo Contest-Deadline for ‘Fall Colors’ is the 15th.

*Hot Dog Fundraiser- We raised $143 gross profit. Thanks to all that came out to support.

*Banquet Update- Good chance the NHC guest will be our speaker.

New Business:

*AMS Student Conference help- Deadline for funding is October 15th. See for more information.

*Trick or Treating- Voted to be Oct 28th (Thursday). We will depart around 8PM from the Clifford Parking lot. Professors will need to be contacted soon. 

*Pumpkin Carving- Oct 21st (Thursday) at 8:30 pm in Clifford 470. A signup was sent around.

*Mortar Board Turkey Basket Drive- Money must be donated by November 15th.  We will donate our baked goods profits for the first two weeks of the month.  Last year we raised $150.

*Traveling to AMS National Conference- October 26th we will have an organizational meeting after the regular meeting for those interested in going. 

Committee Reports


*Education/Outreach Committee- Girl scouts activity went well.

*Fundraising Committee- Dues ASAP to Scott.

*Banquet Committee- Secured a speaker.


*Activities Committee- Planned pumpkin carving and trick-or-treating. 


*AMS Conference funding help application due October 15th

*Photo contest submissions due October 15th

*Pumpkin Carving on October 21st at 8:30pm in Clifford 470

*Trick-or-Treating on October 28th. Departing Clifford parking lot around 8PM.


-The meeting was adjourned without objection at 5:50 p.m---Justin Weber.



October 27th 2010

At the start of the meeting we had a presentation by Jessica Jacobsen.  This presentation was over climate research she did over the summer while volunteering for the National Weather Service Office in Goodland Kansas.

Co-Curricular Transcripts

Tornado Models

National Meeting

Chill Radar Visit


AMS T-shirts



October 2010


Monthly Meeting:


The monthly meeting was held on October 14 at 10:45 am. A total of 47 students, including active and prospective members, attended. The chapter officers summarized past activities and discussed future events, such as the 5th Student Chapter Initiation, the Weather Fest, the AMS Annual Meeting, seminars, fundraising activities and social gatherings. It is also worth to mention that the Juracán TV committee started having regular meetings to get ready for their upcoming season, which will include weather briefings by students, coverage of the chapter’s events, among other activities. 


Activity: CaRA-CariCOOS: An interactive tutorial


The first-ever Caribbean Coastal Ocean Observing System (CariCOOS) of the Caribbean Regional Association (CaRA) interactive tutorial exclusive to the AMS Student Chapter was held on October 19. The speaker was Carlos Anselmi, a graduate student from the UPRM Department of Marine Sciences.  He focused his talk on the objectives of this NOAA- Integrated Ocean Observing System effort, the interaction between the National Weather Service and CaRA-CariCOOS, the webpage and products available to the general public, the use of numerical models, the future goals and valuable student opportunities for undergraduate/graduate research. This activity was also the first one transmitted live by Juracan TV, the chapter’s weather channel, through their webpage, Sixteen students were able to benefit from this talk in person, while many others enjoyed the activity via the Internet.

Activity: Pre-Halloween Party


The chapter’s first social event of the semester was held on October 21. Its main objective was to motivate the members to get to know each other better while raising money for the 5th Student Chapter Initiation. Over 200 people enjoyed the night’s activities, such as a costume contest, the general public got interested in the chapter and the fundraising was extremely successful.  

Activity: 9th Annual Open House of the UPRM Earth Science Week


On October 22, the chapter participated in the Open House of the UPRM Earth Science Week, organized by the Puerto Rico Seismic Network and the Department of Geology. More than a thousand high school students attended this event, and interacted with different exhibitors, such as the NOAA Caribbean Tsunami Warning Program, Sea Grant, the National Weather Service, the Society of Physics Students, and our chapter. The chapter’s Demonstrations committee leader, Gerardo L. Camacho, talked about this experience at the monthly meeting: “It was a unique and tremendous experience! It was a pleasure to work with other chapter members as a team at this activity. Around 1,200 students stopped by our booth and all of them were amazed by our meteorology-related demonstrations. They seemed very interested in every single detail of what we were showing them.  Looking at them filled me up with joy, because it made me think that we were doing a good job. I am extremely thankful for the opportunity to represent the chapter and the Department of Physics at this event.” 

Activity: Movie Night


The chapter’s Weather Today committee organized a movie night to present 1996’s film Twister. A meteorology professor, Carlos U. Pabón, joined the 13 students who attended this event on October 26. Everyone was delighted by this weather related movie and the refreshments served.

Activity: Hot Dog Sales


A total of 4 hot dog sales were held for fundraising (October 4, 11, 18 and 25). Once again, team effort and dedication proved to be essential for the success of these sales.

Activity: Breast Cancer Awareness


Seventeen members cooperated with the Puerto Rico chapter of the American Cancer Society fundraising mission by buying t-shirts regarding their main activity “Walk for a cause”. They wore the t-shirts to raise awareness about breast cancer.



October Meeting Minutes.---Nicole Carlisle.






[ About the AMS | Policy Program | Conferences, Meetings, and Symposia ]
[ Education Programs and Resources ]
[ History of Earth Sciences | Journals and Publications | Local Chapter Information | Member Services ]
[ News and Information | Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) ]

[ Disclaimer | Contacts at AMS | Email AMS Web Administrator ]

Return to AMS Home Page Click on Logo to Return to AMS Home Page
© 2000 American Meteorological Society
Headquarters: 45 Beacon Street, Boston, MA 02108-3693
Phone: 617-227-2425; Fax: 617-742-8718