» Board on the Urban Environment
Board on the Urban Environment
Join us on Twitter!
AMS BUE News, Events, and Announcements
The Board on the Urban Environment includes within its interests (but is not restricted to):
- interactions of the natural and built urban environment with the atmosphere
- urban air quality and transport and dispersion processes in urban areas
- measurement challenges and observation techniques in urban environments, including direct and remote sensing
- urban circulation systems and mesoscale interactions between cities and their surroundings
- the energy and water balance of cities
- causes, effects, and mitigation of the urban heat island
- heat waves, urban biometeorology, and models of the urban biosphere including biocomplexity
- cities as agents of global change
- urban environment implications of engineering designs, planning and policy
- weather forecasting for urban areas and city dwellers.
The purpose and functions of the Board on Urban Environment are to:
- Provide a focal point for those working in urban meteorology and related fields, and to foster interaction with other AMS committees and other societies in matters related to the meteorology of urban environments.
- Raise awareness of issues in atmospheric science and technology that apply to the urban environment.
- Give advice to the Society in matters concerning urban meteorology, and serve the AMS as reference, referee, representative, or spokesperson, as requested.
- Participate in and organize scientific meetings and symposia on the urban environment in order to stimulate further research and clarify pertinent problems.
- Support publication of high quality articles on the urban environment in AMS journals.