Calendar Photo Contest
Want to see your photography highlighted in the American Meteorological Society's Centennial weather history calendar?
AMS is seeking your photos depicting the amazing diversity of weather, water, and climate. The winning photographs will be included in the AMS 2020 calendar, which will be for sale during the 2019 holiday season and at the 100th AMS Annual Meeting in 2020. Proceeds will support the 100th Anniversary Campaign key area: Engaging the Public. Submit your entry by Friday, 15 March 2019.
Subject and Theme of Photos
Photos of weather, water, and climate from the subtle to the extreme; think clouds, waves, storms, and other atmospheric, oceanic, or hydrologic conditions.
Each winner will receive a Centennial weather history calendar and mention on social media and other AMS communication channels.
- By submitting photos to the American Meteorological Society (AMS) photo contest, participants agree to indemnify, defend, and hold harmless AMS, its respective subsidiaries, affiliates, directors, officers, employees, attorneys, agents, and representatives, from any and all third party liability for any injuries, losses, claims, actions, demands, or damages of any kind arising from or in connection with the photo contest (collectively, "Losses"), including without limitation any third party claim for copyright infringement or a violation of an individual’s right to privacy and/or publicity right. The photo contest is void where prohibited by law.
- Photos must be received by Friday, 15 March 2019, to be eligible for the contest.
- Winners will be announced during the week of 9 June 2019 and contacted via email.
- Thirteen winning photos will be chosen—one for each month of the year and one for the cover of the 2020 American Meteorological Society weather history calendar.
- Prizes include a free calendar for each of the 13 winners.
- The contest is open to the public, employees of AMS, and AMS members and volunteers. Amateur or professional photographers are welcome.
- Entrants must be 18 years old or older.
- A maximum of three (3) photos can be submitted per person. Each photo submitted must be under 25 MB. Please submit each photo via a new entry form.
- Although you retain copyright of photos submitted to AMS, you are assigning AMS the right to publish or use them in current and subsequent print or digital formats. You represent that you own all copyrights to your submitted materials.
- A judging committee chosen by AMS will select the winning photos. Judging of all submitted photography will be “blind.” The name of the photographer will not be disclosed to the judging panel. Entries will be judged based on appeal, content, and photographic skill. Results are final.
- Digital photography only; no prints will be accepted.
- Images should be in a horizontal (“landscape”) format at a minimum 4000×3000 pixels.
- All photographs should accurately reflect the subject matter and the scene as it appeared. Photos that have been digitally altered beyond standard optimization may not be entered.
- Digital images should be in TIFF or JPEG format, and may not exceed the size limit of 25 MB.
- AMS reserves the right to color correct and/or crop photo entries if necessary.