1 March 2021
AMS Meetings and COVID-19
Like many organizations, we are closely monitoring the outbreak of the respiratory disease called the “coronavirus disease 2019” or “COVID-19” and its effect on our meetings and events that are being planned over the coming months. Our highest priority remains the health and safety of our attendees, staff, and communities in which our meetings will take place. We are closely and consistently monitoring news and guidance from the Centers for Disease Control & Prevention (CDC), the World Health Organization (WHO) and local health agencies regarding travel and events.
We had been hopeful that we could hold our meetings and events planned. Unfortunately, after the release of recommendations from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), the announcement by the World Health Organization (WHO) declaring a pandemic, as well as numerous university and institutional travel restrictions, it is clear that we must change our plans. Thus, after much deliberation, we have made the decision to make changes to several of our 2021 conferences:
- 2021 AMS Washington Forum will be held in a virtual format 26-29 April 2021.
- 34th Conference on Hurricanes and Tropical Meteorology will be held in a virtual format 9-14 May 2021.
- 13th Fire and Forest Meteorology Symposium will be held in a virtual format 11-13 May 2021.
- 16th Conference on Polar Meteorology and Oceanography will be held in a virtual format 01-04 June 2021.
- 34th Conference on Agricultural and Forest Meteorology/Fifth Conference on Atmospheric Biogeosciences will be held in a virtual format 21-23 June 2021.
- 30th Conference on Severe Local Storms is scheduled for 18-22 October in Santa Fe, NM
- 49th Conference on Broadcast Meteorology/Sixth Conference on Weather Warnings and Communication has been rescheduled for 14-17 June 2022 in Milwaukee, WI
Please see each meeting’s webpage for additional guidance related to these changes.
Any additional changes in plans regarding our meetings will be made and posted to this page, as well as the affected meeting webpage. We thank you for your patience and understanding as we react to this continuously evolving situation.
Additionally, we encourage all attendees to review the cancellation policies for hotel reservations (this information can be found on the “Location” tab of each meeting webpage) as well as flight reservations. Most airlines have announced that they will not charge for changes or cancellations for reservations made at this time and for travel through the spring/summer.
Any updates and news regarding the impact of “coronavirus disease 2019” or “COVID-19” on AMS meetings and events will be posted on this page as well as on the individual meeting page of an affected meeting. As such, we suggest that you check here often as this situation evolves.