The AMS Minority Scholarships will award funding to minority students who have been traditionally underrepresented in the sciences, especially Hispanic, Native American, and Black/African American students. Funding for the scholarships are established through donations made by members to the AMS Giving Program.
- Applicants must be U.S. citizens or hold permanent resident status.
- Minority students who will be entering their freshman year of college in the fall of 2019 are eligible to apply.
- Students must plan to pursue careers in the atmospheric or related oceanic and hydrologic sciences. Marine Biology is not eligible.
- Students eligible to apply for the AMS Minority Scholarship Program may also apply to the AMS Freshman Scholarship Program but can only accept one scholarship if selected for both.
The $6,000 two-year scholarship is for $3000 per year during freshman and sophomore years (second-year funding depends on successful completion of the first academic year).
A completed application includes:
- Completed application form
- An official high school transcript showing past three years
- One letter of recommendation from a high school teacher or guidance counselor
- A copy of scores from a SAT or similar national college entrance exam.
Applicants are responsible for keeping track of time to ensure that all stages of applying are complete in order foro the application to submit on or before the deadline date. Applications will not submit if all stages are not complete.