Policy Program studies and analysis expand the knowledge base on which societal decisions rest.
- Climate Change Risk Management
This study identifies potential policy responses to climate change and explores their strengths and weaknesses.
- How to Deal with Climate Change
Climate Change is a complex and contentious public issue, but the risk-management options available to us are straightforward and have well-characterized strengths and weaknesses, as described in this article in Physics Today.
- A Prescription for the 21st Century: Improving Resilience to High-Impact Weather for Healthcare Facilities and Services
A risk management framework to increase the resilience of healthcare facilities and services to high-impact weather events.
Download the report
- Climate Information Needs for Financial Decision Making
The implications of climate variability and change on near-term financial investments.
- Frameworks for Pricing Greenhouse Gas Emissions
A new approach to carbon pricing that emphasizes climate protection in all cases.
- Climate R&D in the 2014 Budget Request
Analysis of the President's priorities for climate science in FY-2014.
- Earth Observations, Science and Services for the 21st Century
Earth observations, science, and services (OSS) are part of our critical infrastructure – a national asset that, if lost or degraded, will not meet future societal needs that span the whole of the national agenda.
- Carbon Cycle Uncertainty and Climate Risk
Carbon Cycle Uncertainty Increases Climate Change Risks and Mitigation Challenges
- Satellite Navigation and Space Weather
Vulnerability and resilience of Global Positioning System (GPS) in the face of space weather.
- A Road Weather Research Agenda
Weather plays a role in 24 percent of all crashes – approximately 1.5 million of them. This study identifies opportunities to take advantage of rapid changes in technology and advances in communications to allow road weather managers to manage traffic and fleets more effectively and to enable motorists to make better decisions.
Download 2-page Report
- Under the Weather
Vulnerabilities to hospitals and to healthcare continuity from severe weather events.
- U.S. Federal Climate Policy: emission fees
The advantages, disadvantages, design pricinples, and remaining needs for carbon fees.
- Space Weather and Aviation
The impact of space weather on aviation safety, economics, and operations.
- IEOS/GEOSS Implementation
Challenges and opportunities in the design and implementation of a global earth observing system.
- Responding to Climate Predictions
To respond effectively to climate predictions that involve significant seasonal variations, governments also require appropriate policies governing public and private decisions – at the local, national, and international levels.
- Weather and Highway Safety
Improving the safety and efficiency of the roads for the benefit of the traveling public.