The American Meteorological Society advances the atmospheric and related sciences, technologies, applications, and services for the benefit of society. As a service to its members, and in fulfillment of its larger responsibilities to human society, the AMS periodically issues statements on topics that fall within the scope of AMS expertise.
New or Updated Statements in Force
Statements in Process
There are three types of statements in process which include:
- Draft statements open for full member comment
- New statements that require drafting
- Statements in preparation which will be in force shortly
Summary of the Process to Create AMS Statements
The full process for creating AMS statements of various types is provided in the Guidelines for Statements of the AMS.
- Statements are drafted in a multistep process by a drafting committee composed of volunteers from the AMS who are recognized experts in the subject area of the statement and who bring different perspectives on the subject.
- The process is overseen and coordinated by the AMS Council, which is the governing body of the AMS that is elected from the membership by the membership.
- Every statement, after passing review by the AMS Council in draft form, is posted for comments from the AMS membership for a period of not less than 30 days.
- All comments received during the comment period are evaluated and must be addressed by the drafting committee before the final form of the statement is approved.
- The final statement is approved by the AMS Council on behalf of AMS only when the Council feels the statement has incorporated appropriately the comments from the membership and that it represents the view of AMS.