The American Meteorological Society is pleased to announce the AMS Freshman Undergraduate Scholarship program, open to all high school students and designed to encourage study in the atmospheric and related sciences. Serving as a unique example of various sectors of our field joining together to support young, talented minds, the scholarships are being sponsored by partners in industry, as well as through named scholarships either established by an AMS member or in memory of someone. The sponsors of these scholarships have all recognized the importance in encouraging young people to enter into the atmospheric and related sciences and thus have made generous contributions in support of the AMS Freshman Undergraduate Scholarship Program.
To be eligible to apply for this scholarship:
- Applicants must be U.S. citizens or hold permanent resident status.
- Applicants must be entering their freshman year of college in the fall of 2019 as a full-time student and plan to pursue a degree in the atmospheric or related oceanic or hydrologic sciences. Marine biology does not meet this requirement.
Students eligible to apply for this scholarship has the option to also apply to the AMS Minority Scholarship Program if you meet all the requirements, including minority status, but may only accept one scholarship if selected for both.
The scholarship stipend is $5000, awarding $2500 each year (for the freshman and sophomore years). The second-year funding is dependent on successful completion of the first year.
A completed application includes:
- a completed application form
- an official high school transcript showing grades from the past three years
- a letter of recommendation from a high school teacher or guidance counselor (one only)
- a copy of scores from an SAT or similar national college entrance exam
Applicants are responsible for keeping track of time to ensure that all stages of applying are complete in order for the application to submit on or before the deadline date. Applications will not submit if all stages are not complete.