The following are some basic guidelines for Local Chapter Facebook pages.
- Never represent your chapter in a false or misleading way. All statements must be true and not misleading.
- Post meaningful, respectful comments — in other words, no spam and no remarks that are off-topic or offensive.
- Use common sense and common courtesy: for example, it’s best to ask permission to publish or report on conversations that are meant to be private or internal to a chapter.
- When disagreeing with others' opinions, keep it appropriate and polite.
- Be smart about protecting yourself, your privacy, and your chapter's confidential information. What you publish is widely accessible and will be around for a long time, so consider the content carefully. Google has a long memory.
- Posts that are offensive or inappropriate should be removed.
- The official 'Local AMS Chapter' logo should be used on Chapter Facebook pages and not the 'American Meteorological Society's' official logo.