|ARTICLE I. NAME
This organization shall be known as the Atlanta Chapter of the American
Meteorological Society and the National Weather Association.
Hereafter in this Constitution it will be referred to as the Chapter,
the American Meteorological Society will be referred to as the Society,
and the National Weather Association will be referred to as the
ARTICLE II. OBJECTIVES
The objectives of the Chapter will be: “The
dissemination of the knowledge of meteorology in all its phases and
applications, and, the advancement of its professional
ideals.” These are the combined goals of the
ARTICLE III. MEMBERSHIP
1. Anyone who has interest in meteorology
agrees to abide by the requirements of the Constitution becomes an
active member upon payment of Chapter dues.
2. Membership in the Society, Association
shall be encouraged, but not required for membership in the local
ARTICLE IV. OFFICERS
1. The President shall hold membership in
Society; three (3) of the four (4) elected officers shall hold
memberships in the Association.
2. The elective officers of the Chapter
They shall serve for one year.
3. Officers will normally be elected in
assume their duties at the conclusion of the final Chapter meeting
before the summer break. The incoming secretary will provide
election results to the Society.
4. The succession of officers
is: President; President-Elect; Secretary; and Treasurer.
5. The vacated offices shall be filled by
an action of the Executive Committee.
ARTICLE V. COMMITTEES
1. There shall be an Executive Committee
and any other Committees deemed necessary by the Executive Committee.
2. The Executive Committee shall consist
of the retiring President and the current Chapter Officers.
3. Other Committees shall consist of a
and at least two other members who are appointed by the President of
ARTICLE VI. DUES
1. Dues shall be $20.00 per year for
$10.00 per year for student members, due and payable at the September
2. One half of each member’s
dues will go
towards the local American Meteorological Society, and one half to the
local National Weather Association.
3. Anyone who has not paid dues prior to
meeting is automatically suspended from active membership until dues
are paid. He/She may become reinstated by paying the dues.
ARTICLE VII. MEETINGS
1. The Chapter will meet a minimum of six
(6) times per year.
2. All meetings shall be held at a
location selected by the Executive Committee.
3. All meetings shall be announced in
writing to all
members by the Secretary at least 10 days prior to the
The announcement will include the time, place, and purpose of the
4. The business portion of the meetings
shall be limited to one-half hour.
ARTICLE VIII. FINANCES
1. Expenditures of Chapter funds in
excess of $50.00
shall require approval of a majority of the Executive
Expenditures of Chapter funds in excess of $500.00 shall require a
majority of a quorum.
2. Proper financial records must be
ARTICLE IX. VOTING PROCEDURES
1. A quorum is defined as more than
one-third of the active membership.
2. All active members may vote.
3. A majority of a quorum present is
required for the
election of Officers and for matters other than Constitutional changes.
4. A two-thirds majority vote is required
for amendment of the Chapter Constitution.
5. Voting for Officers shall be by secret
ballot. Absentee ballots are accepted in a designated time
established by the president prior to the election, provided that there
is an established means to keep the ballot secret.
ARTICLE X: REVISION OR AMENDMENT TO THE CHAPTER CONSTITUTION AND BY-LAWS
1. These Articles shall be amended or revised when deemed necessary by,
and with the concurrence of, a two-thirds majority of those active
members present at a meeting, given that a quorum is present.
2. The Executive Committee shall review these Articles before the first
meeting of the year for the purpose of presenting to the membership at
the meeting any revisions they deem necessary.
3. Any revisions to these Articles shall be presented in writing to the
membership at one (1) regular meeting and shall be voted upon at the
next regular meeting of the Chapter.
ARTICLE XI: NONPROFIT ORGANIZATION
This Chapter is organized and operated exclusively for nonprofit
purposes, and no part of its earnings shall accrue to the benefit of
ARTICLE XII: DISSOLUTION
Upon dissolution or disbandment of this organization, all funds and
properties in excess of liabilities and expenses of dissolution will be
distributed as determined by a majority of the active members.
ARTICLE XIII: ADOPTION
This Chapter Constitution and By-Laws shall become effective upon
approval of the Executive Directors of the American Meteorological
Society and National Weather Association.
Revised October, 2010
Robert R. Handel, Chapter President