Giant Leap Intern Program
Intern Project Description
PROJECT: Energy Balance Model Verification Study
28 February Deadline
Vaisala is a global leader in environmental and industrial measurement. Building on 75 years of experience, Vaisala contributes to a better quality of life by providing a comprehensive range of innovative observation and measurement products and services for chosen weather-related and industrial markets.
Giant Leap is Vaisala's internship program for 3+ year students enrolled in a University. We will have 4 paid positions available in our Boulder, Colorado office. As a Giant Leap intern, you will work either individually, in a team or with experienced Vaisala employees on real-life projects that have genuine business relevance.
Challenging, but also rewarding, the program is designed for students with a variety of skills, qualities and educational backgrounds. As part of the Giant Leap program, motivation and intellectual curiosity are more important than specific achievements or your area of study. Whether you are a future software guru, product development expert, business development wizard, world-class industrial designer or anything in between, we might be just the right fit for each other.
OVERVIEW OF THE PROJECT:
This project is related to Vaisala’s ongoing effort to ensure maximum performance and value to our customers. It involves a verification study focused on a one-dimensional energy balance model(s) . The project will entail setup and execution of the energy balance model(s) at selected sites over a defined study period. A “perfect-prog” approach is envisioned for this study, whereby instead of utilizing atmospheric forecast data for input, the intern will use observational atmospheric data (e.g., a “perfect” forecast) to drive the model(s), and then compare the results against observed surface observations using various verification techniques.
The intern will be asked to collect and manipulate data, install/configure/run model(s) (coordinating with technical experts as necessary), keep track of results (possibly employing a relational database), apply scientific knowledge and intuition, perform data analysis, and communicate results and outcomes. There will be a need to communicate and interact globally with personnel in other Vaisala offices. The desired outcome of the project is a report and presentation which communicate the “perfect-prog” performance and tendencies of energy balance model(s) over a suitable sample size.
RESPONSIBILITIES (What the position entails)
The position will reside in Vaisala’s Applied Meteorology team, based in the Boulder, CO office. Specific responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Installing and executing an existing 1-D energy balance model (s)(written in JAVA and/or Fortran) with historical data in a Linux environment
- Developing format conversion programs/routines on existing data
- Organizing output data for evaluation, possibly through the use of a relational database
- Coordinating with personnel in other offices as needed
- Performing scientific data analysis
- Employing meteorological verification techniques
- Communicating results and outcomes (written and verbal)
REQUIRED SKILLS OF THE INTERN:
- Experience in Linux computing environment
- Familiarity with FORTRAN and/or JAVA computing languages
- Scientific Data Analysis
- Expertise in Meteorology, Atmospheric Science, Surface Transportation Hazards, or related field of study
- Familiarity with meteorological verification concepts
- Understanding of weather-related surface transportation hazards
- Highly Desired – Some familiarity with Probability and Statistics
- Highly Desired – Some familiarity with databases, e.g. SQL
- Desired – experience with 1-D energy balance models used for road surface applications
PREFERRED EDUCATIONAL BACKGROUND OF THE INTERN:
The project is most suitable for an intern who is enrolled in or has recently completed a Master’s degree program, preferably in Meteorology or Atmospheric Sciences.
IF YOU ARE INTERESTED IN THIS POSITION, PLEASE GO TO www.Vaisala.com, CLICK ON CAREERS , THEN OPEN POSITIONS, GIANT LEAP INTERNSHIP USA BOULDER, CO.
Applications must be submitted via our online system.