Chapter News
January 2007


January 16, 2007

The first general meeting of 2007 took place on January 16th at 7:45 pm with 13 people present. The location of the meeting was the Shreve Memorial library Broadmoor branch in Shreveport Louisiana. The officers that were present included...

President: Mark Frazier
Vice President: David Biggar
Secretary: Jason Noren
Treasurer: Leslie Sexton
Past President: Harry Druckenmiller

The chapter members present (not including officers) at the meeting included…

Jason Hansford
Todd Warren
Armando Garza
Pat Omundson
Dr. Rob Howard
Dr. Bon Mills

Non members present included…

Jaymes Kenyon
Dr. Joshua Scheck
Roger Erickson

Treasurers Report: None was given.

Secretary Report: Outgoing Secretary Mark Frazier read the minutes from the October AMS meeting.

Vice President David Biggar conducted the elections for 2007 officers. Mark Frazier was elected President, David Biggar Vice President, Jason Noren Secretary, and Leslie Sexton treasurer. Annual dues were collected from 9 people.

Following the business portion of the meeting, Mark Frazier introduced the guest speaker Dr. Joshua Scheck from The Hydrometeorological Prediction Center. Dr. Scheck spoke on HPC operations and how they utilize ensemble models into their forecast methodology.

The meeting adjourned at 9:00 pm.---Mark Frazier and Jason Noren.


Meeting Date: January 16, 2007

Attendance: Chris Aliseo, Dave Anderson, Megan Babich, Meghan Bagnasco, Jeraca Benson, Catherine Bodak, Christine Bukowski, Dan Burkhart, Felicia Butterfield, Chris Burling, Joe Ceru, Karl Courter, Aric Cylkowski, Emily Daub, Katie Dupre, Michael Estime, David Hampton, Stacy Hare, Adam Hart, Andy Hatzos, Mike Hesche, Annie Hoezee, Danielle Homrich, Kimberly Hoogewind, Brandon Hoving, David Janczewski, Sarah Jensen, Stefanie Klimowicz, Rachel Kulik, Morris Langworthy, Kayla Moore, Ashley Morgan, Nathan Niedzwiecki, Kelsey Obenour, Jacob Owens, Cort Scholten, Kailey Wass,

Meeting in Session: 9:05

President's Report: President introduced the new e-board, and lead an icebreaker, called Treasure Hunt, where everyone had to meet at least 5 other people with common interests outside of the club. Everyone then had to introduce themselves, and state something that they had in common with someone else.

Vice President's Report: Committees will be formed by next week, nothing new to report as of yet. Job descriptions and changes were read.

Committee's Reports: New committee sheet sign-up was passed around, committees begin meeting next week.

Treasurer's Report: The bank accounts are looking good, fundraising can be improved. The savings account stands at $1,487.32. The checking account stands at $94.42.

Secretary's Report: The attendance sheet was passed around.

SGA Report: Our own Mr. David Hampton is now on the SGA Elections Committee. He is now partially responsible for the student body elections. No meetings have occurred yet, the first meeting of the semester starts next week. Our rep has been busy getting paperwork filled out for a quickly approaching conference.

Open Floor: Several out of state conferences were mentioned including Valpo and the Oklahoma Workshop.

The Enhanced Fujita Conference will be held in Central's Rotunda Room at the Bovee University Center. More details to come as we finalize all the plans.

Meeting Adjourned: 9:50

Meeting Date: January 23, 2007

Attendence: Chris Aliseo, Dave Anderson, Megan Babich, Meghan Bagnasco, Jeraca Benson, Catherine Bodak, Christine Bukowski, Dan Burkhart, Felicia Butterfield, Chris Burling, Joe Ceru, Aric Cylkowski, Emily Daub, Katie Dupree, Michael Estime, Jennifer Flakes, David Hampton, Adam Hart, Andy Hatzos, Amanda Hazard, Mike Hesche, Annie Hoezee, Danielle Homrich, Kimberly Hoogewind, Brandon Hoving, David Janczewski, Stefanie Klimowicz, Rachel Kulik, Morris Langworthy, Kayla Moore, Ashley Morgan, Nathan Niedzwiecki, Kelsey Obenour, Jacob Owens, Cort Scholten, Chris Snider

Meeting in Session: 9:03

President's Report: Begin with a game lead by Andy dealing with Prof Quotes. President has updated the Reggie System, the Constitution, and the Faculty advisor, so we are again an official RSO.

Vice President's Report: Thank you to the people who switched committees. The vice-president named the chair people of the committees.

Committee Reports: Committees will hold their first meetings after this current one is adjourned.

Treasurer's Report: New people are going to have to be paying dues soon, besides this, nothing new to report.

Secretary's Report: The attendance sheet is passed around, also asking for global IDs and phone numbers.

SGA Report: We recently had problems with the Reggie system, therefore attending the SGA meeting was pointless as our SGA representative could not vote on anything. Money for the upcoming conference has not yet been officially approved, should know soon.

Open Floor: Meeting Adjourned: 9:35

Meeting Date: January 30, 2007

Attendence: Dave Anderson, Jeraca Benson, Catherine Bodak, Christine Bukowski, Dan Burkhart, Felicia Butterfield, Chris Burling, Joe Ceru, Karl Courter, Aric Cylkowski, Emily Daub, Jennifer Flakes, Michael Estime, David Hampton, Stacy Hare, Adam Hart, Andy Hatzos, Amanda Hazard, Mike Hesche, Annie Hoezee, Danielle Homrich, Kimberly Hoogewind, Brandon Hoving, David Janczewski, Stefanie Klimowicz, Rachel Kulik, Morris Langworthy, Kayla Moore, Ashley Morgan, Nathan Niedzwiecki, Kelsey Obenour, Jacob Owens, Damon Paul, Cort Scholten, Chris Snider, Sara Strey, Kailey Wass

Meeting in Session: 9:03

President's Report: Club received an email about a generous donation of $26+ million. Unfortunately we will not be giving them our bank account numbers, so this gift will not be ours.

Vice President's Report: committee reports from last week as follows: Committee Reports:
  1. Public Relations: idea to put up signs for SCAMS in the library and various other locations, specifically during campus tour
  2. Jobs/Internships: members can look at the bulletin boards
  3. Fundraising: questions as to whether or not do a Valentine's Day table and sell flowers, calendar idea
  4. Activities: sledding next week Tuesday at 7:30, in place of meeting
  5. Conferences: Early registration for Oklahoma is $75 and due tomorrow, final cost will be $500 for the whole trip, its from March 1-3.
Treasurer's Report: Money in the account: savings: $1507.32 checking: $86.92

Secretary's Report: Passed around attendance sheet.

SGA Report: SGA is in favor of legislation from the IT who wants to have wireless installed over the entire campus. Project would cost nearly $1.4 million. Allocation committee still has yet to approve of the conference money. More information is on the new SGA blog of our website.

Open Floor: MDOT doesn't appear to be cooperating; we don't know whether or not we have our stretch of road any longer. The contact info is supposedly updated. There is a possibility of visiting the Detroit weather service. Iowa conference was brought up, need more information. The Enhanced Fujita Conference is Friday! SCAMS students will eat for free. Need volunteers for parking lot/direction directors.

Meeting Adjourned: 9:33 ---Annie Hoezee.


Monthly Meeting Minutes
January 18, 2007

The meeting was called to order at 7:35 PM by President, Bebhinn Do.

Attendance: 26

Minutes were read and approved. Sign in sheet was passed around.

Treasurer's report.

As of 12/14/06 the balance is $5,183.59; of which $4,550.98 is operational and $632.61 is the Academic Achievement Fund. $6,096.17 resides in the CD to bring total chapter assets to $11,279.76.

CD was discussed-it's main use is for academic achievement fund. A motion was made for the executive committee to look into options (such as savings account with interest comparable to what CD offers) and get back to chapter. The constitution does mention details of the Humphry donation.

George Bridgers, Ed chair, mentioned that the last BAMS has the latest scholarship announcements.

New business: Mike Moss announced that there is a community outreach need for a meteorologist come speak about climate projections to a gardening group one afternoon at Sarah Duke Gardens. Please contact Mike if you are interested.

Bebhinn mentioned that announcements like the one above can be posted to the Yahoo group.

Bebhinn announce constitution will be posted to the chapter website. We are also in the process of adding a member database to the website.

Frank Schiermeier mentioned we may want to add some select historical items to the website.

The May 4th banquet venue was discussed. The Cardinal Club was slightly more expensive than the Brownstone. Need to see if Steve Harned can reserve it again and if it is available. Need to talk up the banquet and increase attendance this year. Fayetteville Street is now open, which may entice more people to come downtown.

Jerry Watson introduced the night's program, "Carolina Coastal Fronts - A Winter Forecast Challenge". Our speaker was Dr. Allen J. Riordan, Emeritus Associate Professor Of Meteorology, NC State University.

Al began research and teaching at North Carolina State University after obtaining his Ph. D. in meteorology from the University of Wisconsin in 1977. In early years his emphasis was on micrometeorology, but by the mid 1980's he became more interested in mesoscale phenomena while trying to perform a boundary-layer experiment over the Gulf Stream with Sethu Raman and several students aboard the R/V Cape Hatteras. The primary objective was to document the modification of air trajectories passing from the warm waters of the Gulf Stream to the cooler shelf waters near the coast. The secondary objective was to see which grad students would remain standing and might be useful in the upcoming Genesis of Atlantic Lows Experiment (GALE).

The coastal front is a shallow stationary or warm frontal boundary commonly found over near-shore waters in winter. In the United States the phenomenon is found along the Texas Gulf coast, off the eastern shores of New England, and off the Southeast coast from North Carolina to Georgia. Off the Southeast Coast frontogenesis occurs during northeast flow when air parcels flow southward over warmer gulf stream and produce increasing contrast with adjacent parcels that follow a parallel track father west over the landmass and the cooler shelf waters near the coast. Although the resulting front is shallow, it often serves as a site of major coastal cyclogenesis affecting areas from the Carolinas to eastern Canada. It has been a major challenge for forecasters for generations. Since this major weather-maker usually forms offshore where measurements are few, it is difficult to detect and its motion is difficult to forecast.

The most comprehensive measurements of the Carolina coastal front were obtained in the 1986 GALE field experiment. In addition to operations aboard the R/V Cape Hatteras, measurements were also carried out using the NCAR Electra aircraft, which probed the boundary layer. Additionally a dual Doppler radar system was employed at Okracoke Island (CP3) and Hatteras (CP4).

Analysis of the January 25, 1986 coastal front event showed surface winds on the east side of the front to be more easterly and on the west side of the front to be more northeasterly. This was a shallow front; winds at 1 km were much more homogenous. An interesting observation was that the northern portion of the front seemed to "break" and come ashore (referred to unofficially as a stealth front), while the southern portion remained offshore. Further analysis of this and additional subsequent fronts showed that the northern portion of the front actually regenerated on-shore. The idea is that the front often moves ashore above a cold air dome (appx. 200m thick). Over land, with increased roughness and solar heating, warm air finds the surface. It is noted that fronts should not be thought of as railroad cars but rather as the result of evolving processes. They can form, die, then reform several times. A major GALE fining is that the surface front forms and often anchors itself along zones of strong sea-surface temperature gradients.

The next question was whether numerical models capture the nature of the regenerating coastal front. The finding was that the better the resolution of cold coastal water, the more improved the forecast ability of the model. Resolving the meso and microscale depends on temperature and vertical resolution.

Synoptic-scale precursors to coastal frontogenesis were explored via NCAR re-analsis grids. This dataset, although coarse (at a grid spacing of about 2.5 degrees latitude) was used to obtain composite surface and upper-air conditions over eastern North America during coastal-front events that occurred over an 11-year period. Composited fields for fronts that came ashore were compared with those that didn't come ashore. Strong damning with an anchored high-pressure area centered over the Northeast were noted in those that stay off shore. By contrast, there was a strong on-shore flow and a low-pressure area in the Gulf of Mexico with a sharp upper level trough present for those fronts that came ashore Jerry announced that next month's speaker will be David Herlong, North Carolina Emergency Management. The topic will be "North Carolina's Flood Warning Program".

Jerry announced that Steve Harned had received recognition as being named the new Executive Director of the National Weather Association. Also, Dave Knapp, a former NCSU student, is the retiring president.---Janice Godfrey.


Thursday, 3 PM, January 25, 2007

National Weather Center (NWC) in Norman, OK


President Patrick Burke welcomed around 20 people in attendance, the first meeting for the 2006-2007 chapter officers. Each officer, followed by everyone in attendance, provided a brief introduction about themselves.

Review of the Storms of 2006 screening

Around 15 people attended the screening held in the NWC on December 15. The chapter sponsored refreshments including pizza, pop, and dessert. Those attending were treated to a recap of the tornadic storms of 2006, which included El Reno, OK and St. Peter, MN.

Review of the AMS Annual Meeting

Treasurer Kit Wagner attended the meeting held on January 14-18 in San Antonio, TX. While he was there, he represented the chapter at the Local Chapter Officers Breakfast. He said the majority of those attending the breakfast were from student chapters. Omaha-Offutt was recognized as national chapter of the year, while Iowa State University was the national student chapter of the year. Kit also mentioned that national AMS president Rick Anthes announced a proposal to double national AMS membership over the next five years. This may include extending a welcome to non-meteorologists in related fields.

National Severe Weather Workshop 2007

This year’s NSWW will be held March 1-3 at the National Center for Employee Development in Norman. The workshop is sponsored by the NOAA/NWS, Oklahoma Emergency Management, and our chapter. Kit Wagner reported on our role as organizers of the vendor exhibits and as treasurer for paid registrations (outside of gov’t sponsored payments). The chapter will also have an exhibitor’s table through the event. Early registration for the full workshop of $75 ends January 31st. There will also be free storm spotter training on March 3. Information on the NSWW is available at

Treasurer’s Report

Kit Wagner reported that we have a little over $9000 in the chapter treasury. Membership dues of $15 for the year were collected before and after the meeting, along with membership applications. Overall membership numbers were down from previous years (30 versus the typical 40). A question was asked from the membership of where does the money for the treasury come from. Kit said that the money expected to be received this year is provided from dues and the NSWW. In previous years, the chapter received proceeds from sales of the Storms of 2004 and Storms of 2005 DVDs, as well as donations.


Kit announced the Oklahoma State Science and Engineering Fair will be held in Ada, Oklahoma on Friday, March 30, 2007. He said that COCAMS has been listed in the program as an awards sponsor over the past several years. A sign-up sheet to become a judge was passed around the membership.

Motions Future meeting days/times

A discussion occurred whether late afternoon meeting times should be changed. Patrick said a few people have voiced concerns with late afternoon meetings and being unable to attend. It appeared some people preferred trying a 5-6 pm meeting.

Speaker Kevin Scharfenberg of CIMMS/ NSSL/OU gave a presentation on the 2006 Severe Hail and Verification Experiment (SHAVE). SHAVE was designed to take advantage of the ability to blend high-resolution radar data with geographic information. The primary objective of the experiment was to collect high temporal and spatial resolution data that describe the distribution of hail sizes in hail swaths produced by severe thunderstorms. Information on the project is available at

Chapter Officers Meeting

After the regular meeting, the chapter officers met to plan speakers and events through spring 2007.---Jeremy Grams.


The Chicago Chapter of the AMS January 2007 meeting featured speaker Mr. Mark T. Carroll, Executive Vice President of Murray and Trettel, Inc., and his subject, 'Meteorological Monitoring for the Nuclear Industry.'

A brief video presentation about Murray and Trettel, Inc. and its environmental and forecasting divisions began Mr. Carroll's topic. Mr. Carroll and Mr. Thomas R. Piazza, President and CEO of Murray and Trettel, Inc. are seen in the video explaining the two divisions of the company. The Environmental Systems Division has meteorological instrument towers throughout the seven nuclear power plant sites in Illinois which measure various meteorological conditions including temperatures at three different levels, 300, 175 and 33 feet. Fossil plant monitoring including sulfur dioxide measurement is also available. Murray and Trettel, Inc. are responsible for maintaining the meteorological equipment. The Forecasting Division receives its primary source of information through NOAA Port and the internet. Eighteen meteorologists are staffed at Murray and Trettel, Inc.

After the video, Mr.Carroll went into depth on the nuclear industry monitoring of meteorological elements. The seven nuclear power plants in Illinois are the most of any state. There are thirty years of data archived at the Illinois sites. Murray and Trettel, Inc. also have towers at nuclear plant sites in Pennsylvania, New Jersey, North Carolina and South Carolina. Besides temperature, the meteorological towers measure wind speed, wind direction, precipitation, dew point and solar radiation. The Nuclear Regulatory Commission need twelve months of meteorological data before consideration of a nuclear power plant being built. Two meteorologists are assigned to review and analyze the data from the meteorological towers. Routine and preventative maintenance is performed once a month at each site. Calibration of the meteorological equipment is done three times a year which is one time more than NRC standards. Statistical analysis of the meteorological data is provided by monthly and yearly reports.---Kevin Kraujalis.


December/January Newsletter---Jason Samenow.


January 24, 2006 Chapter Meeting

This gathering started with lunch at the Pizza Hut in Norton, KS. 14 members attended, with one visitor, a new member of the GLD staff. After a nourishing meal of pizza and salad, the meeting was held.

After the meeting, a representative from each office gave a wrap up of the two winter storms which recently blew through the high plains. Lively discussions centered on what went well and what could be improved upon. One "best practice" item all agreed worked well and should continue in the future is initiating mass conference calls prior to a big event to Emergency Managers, Department of Transportation officials, School superintendents, the media, etc. A lot of positive feed back came from this practice. Another good suggestion was to frequently update stories on the office webpage, so anyone with internet access can obtain them. A problem that arose for one office was the loss of a primary communications tower, so an alternate means of disseminating information had to be found. Another weakness identified was not enough staff on duty during significant weather. Hydrologist and member Rick Sloan/DDC showed maps of how much water content is stored in all that snow upstream, which could lead to flooding issues this spring.

Call to order. The meeting was called to order at 11:53 AM. Secretary Tim Burke/DDC read the 10/05/06 meeting minutes, which were accepted as read. Notes and messages from the Dec email meeting were accepted as well, and members were told minutes from the email meeting would be included with this set of minutes.

Treasurer's report. Treasurer Matt Masek/LBF reported a starting balance from 12/15/06 of $1506.52, $45.29 additions from dues and interest, zero subtractions, for a 01/24/07 balance of $1551.81. $5 from each member's dues is being slotted for the Jim Johnson Scholarship fund, so $15 is currently in that fund.

Old Business. Administering the Jim Johnson Scholarship was discussed. $500 was donated for this first year of the scholarship by member and GLD MIC Scott Mentzer; a second $500 was donated anonymously, so the 2nd year is also covered financially. Five dollars from each member's dues ($15) will be earmarked for this scholarship fund. We decided the prize money amounts will likely have to be lowered at our annual conference, for the student paper/presentation contests. We have been awarding $500 each to a graduate student presenter and an undergraduate presenter. Letters to areas high schools will be sent out this week, papers will need to be submitted by applicants by April 1st, and the scholarship is planned to be awarded by May 1st.

President David Floyd queried if any member had heard from the Wichita AMS chapter concerning the proposal to possibly join the hosting of our conference rotation. No contact from the Wichita chapter was known, thus President Floyd volunteered to contact the Wichita chapter. New Business. The 11th High Plains conference will be held August 15th-17th in Hastings, Nebraska. The earlier than normal date was chosen in hopes of drawing more students, and to avoid the early fiscal year problems.

Officers: An electronic vote open to all members was conducted from Jan 18-25th. The Chapter officers for 2007 are: President - Rick Ewald/GID; Vice President - Mike Umscheid/DDC; Treasurer - Matt Masek/LBF; and Secretary - Tim Burke/DDC. Congratulations to all! Outgoing President Dave Floyd was given recognition and applause for serving our Chapter during this past year.

Adjournment. The meeting adjourned at 12:20 PM. The next meeting should be held in the Apr/May time frame, you will be notified. Anyone want to do a presentation at our next meeting?---Dave Floyd and Tim Burke.


Meeting Minutes - January 23th, 2007

National AMS Membership 2005-2006 Student Chapter of the Year -National AMS Chapter Poster of the Year Treasurer Update - Lisa Stewart Social Chair Update - Jesse Wartman Kaleidoquiz - Jason Patton Spring Break Trip to Oklahoma - Liz White Historian Update - Jeff Edmondson Academic Chair Update - Kaj Johnson O'Mara Cy's Eyes Update - Kaj Johnson O'Mara and Scott Lincoln Wx Challenge Update - Jayson Prentice Iowa Forecast Contest - Jon Hobbs Apparel and Calendars Sawyer Elementary School Night Science Olympiad St. Cecelia Science Fair TV Station Visit ISU Major Fair CPR Training Severe Storms and Doppler Radar Conference Look for an email from Rachel Butterworth with an application and more information. PWSE Taking the Road Less Traveled Tornado Machine Ham Radio Meeker Elementary Science Night Advanced Spotter Training VEISHEA UCAR Presentation - Lisa Stewart Next Meeting: Thursday, February 22, 7 p.m.---Rachel Butterworth.


January 11, 2007

The first meeting of Jackson Chapter's NWA/AMS in 2007 was held on Thursday, January 11, 2007 at 7:00 pm, at the new Ichiban Chinese Buffet. The meeting was opened by chapter President Eric Carpenter, with 21 people in attendance.

Discussion was initiated by Eric Carpenter in the opening session, concerning the chapter's new web page. Carolyn Bryant, Chapter Webmaster, has designed the new Jackson Chapter web page and it is now on-line. The chapter officers will be working on content for the page, including by-laws and other chapter information, to be added soon.

Following the opening session, Eric Carpenter introduced the guest speaker for the evening, James Spann from ABC 33/40 in Birmingham. Mr. Spann began to speak on how we, as meteorologists, are beginning to become disconnected with people with all of the statistics we use. He also spoke on how much the television industry has changed, and will change, since he first began his career in television meteorology. He spoke on his opinion of how to handle severe weather events during a transitional time such as the one we are in now.

For his method, he begins by getting on the air the night before to talk about the expected weather the next day. He also suggests that it would be good to have someone from the National Weather Service join him in this discussion. He also has a live stream of data, internet videos, weather blogs, E-forecasts (which is an email product), and weather faxes to get people the information on the expected weather the night before. The main point he makes is to use the technology that is changing the business to prepare people for the severe weather.

During a severe weather event, Mr. Spann has long form TV coverage of the event. He also has a live internet stream, long form radio coverage, his blog is up to date, and he uses E-Warn (which is a pager system). He also has a system of instant messaging set up that he uses during severe weather. This will allow for him to receive storm reports and get them out on the air as soon as he receives them. He is in contact with the National Weather Service offices, storm spotters, and other weather interests, to get storm-related information.

Mr. Spann also says that we have a False Alarm Rate (FAR) problem that we need desperately to fix. The more we warn and nothing happens, the less our customers will trust us. He suggests that a way to minimize this problem is to train and utilize more "skywatchers." He also suggests that a skycam network be installed, and that the instant messaging system be better utilized, to get critical information to the National Weather Service for consideration in warning decisions.

Overall, Mr. Spann discusses that with the change in technology, we need to quickly adapt. This is the best way to get information to our public and minimize false alarms. By doing this, our customers will trust us more and react more seriously to warnings issued.

The meeting was adjourned by Eric Carpenter.---Ashley Wester.


MEETING MINUTES: 7:30-9:00pm

Pictured: Kristen & Paul

SPEAKER: Paul Kocin
TOPIC: NE Snowfall Impact Scale (NESIS) & how it might be applied to KC storms
Paul Kocin & Louis Uccellini wrote a book called NE Snowstorms

What NESIS will do: Provide estimates for human & economic disruption Scale:
Category NESIS value # of cases Designation
1 1-2.499 23 Notable
2 2.5-3.99 22 Significant
3 4-5.99 16 Major
4 6-9.99 7 Crippling
5 10+ 2 Extreme
---Lisa Hill.


The meeting opened at 7:00pm on Monday January 29, 2007.

The first order of business was to discuss t-shirt prices. For AMS members, short sleeved t-shirts are $13 and long sleeved t-shirts are $16. For non-members, short sleeved t-shirts are $15 and long sleeved t-shirts are $18. Take the order form and money to the weather lab sometime by February 8th or give the form and money to one of the AMS officers.

Then there was a suggestion for a social event to have a movie night at Alex Perkins' house on February 2nd at 7pm to celebrate Groundhog Day. We are going to watch the movie "Groundhogs Day."

In honor of Severe Weather Week, students from the KU chapter of AMS will sit at a table in front of Wescoe answering student questions about severe weather. We need voluneers, there will be a sign up sometime soon. We also need posters. We might make posters at the next AMS meeting.

Next KU Chapter of AMS meeting Monday February 26, 2007.

Finally, we talked about having a display case making/decorating party for the display cases on the 4th floor of Lindley. We need cloud pictures to make a Cloud Atlas so if members have any bring them to the weather lab and write your name on the back. We might be able to put a TV and DVD player in one of the cases to play a video about severe weather in honor of Severe Weather Week. Whenever this gathering is, there will be food. The AMS Officers will keep everyone posted.

Meeting ajourned at 7:33pm.---Kimberly Michelle Hernandez.


LSC GBM Minutes

Ryan welcomed the club to the meeting at 7:03pm. There were 55 people in attendance. Ryan announced that Jim and he will be presenting their findings from the National AMS Conference on Monday, January 29. Ryan told the club that Plymouth State is going to host LSC in a field day and that next year LSC will be the host of the field day. Ryan mentioned that elections for next years executive board will be held in the month of April and that we will be holding a meeting for interested people to ask this year's executive board questions about their positions. Hannah Manley could not attend this meeting but she is going to be sending out personal invitations to everyone asking them to attend the Alumni Reception at the NESC.

Andrew then announced that the online registration for the NESC is now up and running online. He also said that the logo for the conference was chosen and Thorin Markison's design won.

Laura said to see her after the meeting to check about active membership.

Eric announced the room rates for the NESC. They are $95 for a single, $85 for a double, $75 for a triple and $65 for a quad.

Rich reminded everyone that the Winter Ball is Saturday from 8pm to 1am, setup is Friday at 7pm and Saturday at 1pm, and clean up is right after the ball. There is an events committee meeting Thursday at 7pm in the Met Lab. The Winter Ball and all its activities can add up to 4 and 1/3 events.

Joe announced that SkyWarn is coming soon. It is free and it is the week after the NESC. Photo Contest Deadline is Wednesday, January 31st. There will be an upcoming committee meeting for school visits.

Jim told everyone about the benefits about becoming a National AMS Membership, such as discounts for the national conference, student membership after graduation and a subscription to BAMS. Jim is working on the next issue of the alumni newsletter. Jim is also working on NESC history. He is working on getting missing booklets and is making a poster that will be displayed at the NESC.

The meeting ended at 7:28pm with the raffle.---Laura Ballard.


Metro Atlanta AMS/NWA Meeting - 1/11/2007
Location: National Weather Service, Peachtree City

Our fourth meeting of the year was held at the National Weather Service Forecast Office in Peachtree City. After a short business meeting, Trisha Palmer (forecaster) and Brandon Miller (graduate student, GA Tech) gave a short presentation and radar overview of the 2 January 2006 tornado event across North Georgia - the first in a two-part series of meetings about this event.

We finally got a response from the NWA regarding our petition to become a local NWA chapter - apparently, we were approved back in October, but the approval was lost in the mail. So, congratulations to all of us, as Charter Members of the Metro Atlanta AMS/NWA! The officers will work on the constitution/bylaws over the next month, and hopefully we can vote at the February meeting.

We currently have $2,182 and some change, with no outstanding bills. With new membership added tonight, we now have 32 active members. Thus, we'll need 17 active members for a quorum.

Miscellaneous notes: For those interested, Lans Rothfusz (MIC) announced that Gary Beeley, SOO, just recently retired, and that his replacement is Steve Nelson, currently a senior forecaster. Also, for those that recall, at our November meeting we had discussed that we would try to have this current (January) meeting at the Hartsfield-Jackson ATL ATC Tower. However, due to security issues at the airport, the FAA could not approve a tour with a group this size, hence the near last-minute change.

Our next meeting will be back at GA Tech, in our usual room. It will be the second in our two-part series about the 2 January 2006 tornadoes, as a follow-up to the current meeting. The February meeting, however, will cover the different agencies' responses to the event. Agencies represented may include (but will not necessarily be limited to): In addition, we'll need to start taking nominations for 2007-2008 officers as well. Presentation:
Brandon Miller (GA Tech graduate student) and Trisha Palmer (WFO Peachtree City) - 2 January 2006 Tornadoes Event overview (Brandon): WES overview (Trisha): After the presentation, a tour was offered of the office for those interested.---Trisha Palmer.


January 13-18, 2007

There were 13 students in attendance for the 6th Annual AMS Student Conference and the 87th AMS Annual Meeting in San Antonio, TX. All 13 students were seniors who went to the conference to look into possible careers, to learn more about different graduate schools, and to gain knowledge from the numerous talks, exhibits and posters. The students attended the following:

1) AMS Student Conference (13th - 14th) 2) 87th AMS Annual Meeting (15th - 18th) Special guests included the university President, Francine McNairy and the Vice President for University Advancement, Gerald Eckert.

Numerous Millersville Alumni attended the reception, along with other friends of the university.

January 31, 2007

The meeting commenced at 8:30pm, there were 44 students in attendance. ---Nick Reitz.


Jessica opened the meeting by reviewing the trip to San Antonio for the AMS Conference. It was well attended by our chapter, with around 25 making the trip to Texas. Multiple members presented or had posters at the conference.

Jessica announced that we are still collection printer cartridges.

Clark discussed the banquet. It will be on February 27 from 7pm to 10pm at the Holiday Inn Select on West Tennessee St. Clark also discussed the ice skating social.

Matt Bloemer announced the Relay for Life, which will be on St. Patrick's Day weekend. 10-15 dedicated members are needed to have a team.

Charlie stated our account balance is $1177.

Charlie announced Project StormReady. Our chapter will be working on making FSU a StormReady campus this semester in coordination with the NWS Warning Coordination Meteorologist Bob Goree and FSU Emergency Manager Dave Bujak.

Mike Porter discussed Science Olympiad, Science Fair, and Hazardous Awareness Week.

Chris Floyd from the Red Cross encouraged our chapter to reach out to our community and local high schools. He gave us 3 events to become involved in and Mike passed out sign-up sheets for the following.

1. February 8- Statewide Poster Juding Contest
a. 11am at the Red Cross located at 187 Plaza Drive
b. 2 ½ hour judging time

2. Hurricane Biz Exercises
a. Help business practice recovery drills for hurricane disasters

3. May 12, Full Scale Hurricane Disaster
a. Hurricane Zeus, volunteer victims needed

Dave Bujak, the FSU Emergency Manager has three potential projects for our chapter.

1. StormReady
2. Hazardous Weather Awareness Week (promotion, table at the student union)
3. Help developing weather scenarios for training events

Dr. Joseph Facundo, Chief of the Observing Systems Branch (NOAA/NWS Field Systems Operations Center) spoke about the job application process and career opportunities with the National Weather Service. Key advice he gave in his speech included:

1. Be Pesistent, Don't Be Discouraged
2. Find Your Way into the Federal Government 3. There are few front doors, a lot of side doors Dr. Facundo also discussed the NWS structure and pay scale. He mentioned that 40% of NWS employees are 3-5 years within retirement.

Dr. Facundo mentioned the Quick-Hire process and offered advice for applying for jobs.
Talk effectively in interview
Answer questions completely and honestly
Dr. Facundo's final point was not to wait until the end. Planning your career ahead of time gives you a lot more options down the line.---Kathleen Walls.


January meeting minutes.---Evan Kuchera.


The Oregon Chapter-AMS co-sponsored, along with its partner Oregon Science and Museum of Industry (OMSI), a two-hour evening discussion on the science of climate change on January 30, 2007. Oregon-AMS President Kyle Dittmer served as the host and moderator. We invited Phil Mote from the University of Washington's Climate Impacts Group and George Taylor from the Oregon State University's Climate Services Office. This was the first ever public match-up between these two well known climatologists.

A record breaking crowd of 400 showed up. Media coverage was extensive. Each speaker presented their science then each took turns critiquing the other's presentation. Phil Mote, one of the authors of the new IPCC Climate Change Report, presented data that showed observed climate change and global warming was mostly human caused. George Taylor presented data of natural forcing to explain most of the climate change.

During the intermission, the audience was invited to write down questions and submit them. Given the volume of questions, not all questions could be answered by both speakers. Mr. Dittmer tried to sort out the most interesting questions and present them to the guest speakers with the remaining time. The presentations can be found here: The evaluations by OMSI were very favorable.---Kyle Dittmer.


January Meeting Minutes---Brian Hulse.


This year, the 87th Annual American Meteorological Society Conference was held from January 13th thru January 18th in San Antonio, Texas. The 6th Annual Student Conference kicked things off on January 13th. Approximately 400 undergraduate and graduate students from schools across the country attended the opening festivities.

The 87th Annual AMS Conference brought together 2,500 meteorologists from across the globe to share thoughts, research and ideas to others in the field. PSUBAMS was proud to be able to have funding to 17 students and meet up with many alumni throughout the week.

From all of the officers, thanks to all who attended and we look forward to being able send more members of PSUBAMS to go to the 88th Annual AMS Conference in New Orleans, LA next year!

PSUBAMS held its first meeting of the Spring 2007 semester on January 31. Dr. Chuck Pavloski, a faculty member of Penn State spoke about his research in Darwin, Australia: "The TWP-ICE 2007 Experiment". TWP-ICE stands for the Tropical Warm Pool- International Cloud Experiment.

Dr. Pavloski traveled on a marine research vessel, the Southern Conveyor. The purpose of this experiment was to explore the role of tropical cirrus clouds in a life-cycle of tropical convection, to document the evolution of oceanic convective clouds and to provide data sets for use in General Circulation Models.

Pavloski and the crew he was working with set up their station and buoys for their three and a half week observation period. The crew kept measurements of energy flux, sea surface temperatures and measured rainfall amounts for their research. To end, Dr. Pavloski included a video to show what it was like on the Southern Surveyor in Australia for three weeks.---Bryan Oshinski.


Executive Board Meeting

Date: January 31, 2007
Minutes: 5:00-5:30pm
Board Members in Attendance: Melissa P, Heather D, Katie P, Katie F, Norm S, Bridget B, Chris W


President's and Treasurer's Meeting- Allocations meeting is Thursday, Feb. 15, 2007 at 8:15pm.

Katie P. will reply to the elementary school teacher's email.

Lyndon State event-field day with a tentative date of the weekend of April 14th.

Ideas for future events/fundraisers to be discussed at the next meeting.

Storm Conference finalizations in place-room list to be made, 15 rooms reserved, parking fees, $40 per person to attend.

All majors meeting Tuesday, February 6th, 2007 @ 7pm with snacks and refreshments; mandatory for those members attending Storm Conference- bring $40.

Snowfall contest prizes to be given to person with the closest guess; first 3" fell on Dec. 30, 2006.

Future plans: Freshman and sophomore representatives and links for educational resources on website.---Heather Dinon.


January Minutes

At this meeting, students were again treated to a presentation by one of our faculty members, Dr. David Robinson. Dr. Robinson, a physical geographer and climatologist gave a talk on three research topics he has been working on. Namely, his research on hemispheric and regional snow cover dynamics and interactions of snow cover with other climate elements was discussed, which included a talk he gave at the AMS meeting in San Antonio. The talk gave students yet another perspective on future research areas, as well as expanding their relationship with the Atmospheric Science faculty.

After the talk, plans were set to establish times for the students who went to the AMS meeting in San Antonio, to present on a seminar that they had attended. Dan Harnos, Aimee Treutlein, Mary Moore, and Paul Loikith will be the first four to present.---Joshua Cuzzone.


The January meeting of the Smoky Mountain Chapter began with dinner at the Riverside Tavern restaurant in Knoxville, and then moved to the UT Ag campus for a presentation by one of our own, Joanne Logan. Joanne had just returned from training in the Climate Change Project. In 2006, Al Gore, when asked "What next?", responded that his next goal would be to train 1,000 community leaders to help him carry the message to as many different groups as possible. Joanne was part of the last 200 to be trained in Nashville. A team of climate change scientists, educators, and Al Gore provided the attendees with the information and skills they'll need to present their version of Al Gore's "An Inconvenient Truth" in towns and cities across America. Before she takes her show on the road to perhaps face some skeptical audiences, Joanne practiced her planned presentation for the Smoky Mountain AMS group to receive feedback and recommendations.---David Gaffin.


The Southwest Pennsylvania Chapter of the AMS has had several social events since out last report. Students traveled to Pittsburgh to watch a Penguins hockey game on December 2, 2006. As a way to celebrate the end of the academic semester, chapter members attended a winter social at Quaker Steak and Lube on December 7, 2006. At the winter social, Chris Gilson was named Vice President since Joel Hoffman had graduated.

The SWPA-AMS sent four student members to the 87th annual meeting of the American Meteorological Society in San Antonio, Texas. Chapter President Jonathan Jennings and Treasure Matthew Owens were selected as student volunteers by the AMS. They were able to assist the staff of the AMS for registration and other needs throughout the duration of the conference. Vice President Chris Gilson was part of the student poster conference where he presented his work on The Effects of Terrain on CASA Radars. Chris was able to make connections with graduate schools and employers due to his hard work on CASA Radars. Jennings, Owens, and Gilson joined student member Reece Todd and attended a large amount of sessions including talks on the Integrated Data Viewer, Climate Change, as well as The Year in Review-2007. The chapter plans on sending more student members to New Orleans next year.

On January 25, 2007, chapter members Brian Hutton, Jr. and Donny Marszalek were named as CUTV Meteorologists for spring 2007 after seven individuals auditioned for the position. Besides on-camera abilities, Dr. Gill and Kauffman posed several questions related to atmospheric science. The televised weather forecast travels to 100,000 homes in Southwestern Pennsylvania via CUTV, California University Television.

The chapter website ( continues to change. New scholarships are updated continuously and REU opportunities have been posted. Chapter members are encouraged to apply for these unique experiences in order to obtain real-world experience in the field of meteorology.

The Educational Outreach Program traveled to Jubilee Christian School on January 23, 2007 where Katie Mercadante and Adam Cinderich presented "Weather Jeopardy" to fifteen six-grade students. The students learned more about weather, the SW PA Chapter, and asked a wide variety of questions. Several other visits including Gateway, Ambridge, and North Allegheny have been confirmed concerning solar weather and the thermohaline circulation. In addition, the SW PA Chapter has aligned itself with the Carnegie Science Center (Pittsburgh) to create "Weather Fest". Planned for next spring, the event will reach out to nearly 100 school districts around the Pittsburgh-Metro area, and will be the largest outreach program ever conducted by the SW PA Chapter. Outreach chair, Kevin Lowrie, has also contacted the Boy Scouts of American concerning "Merit Badge University" which will enable scouts to earn a variety of merit badges. Finally, the Educational Outreach Committee has scheduled two SKYWARN training sessions (Advanced and Basic) courtesy of Pittsburgh NWS on April 2 and 18, respectively.---Michael J. Allen.


The January 2007 meeting of the Twin Cities chapter of the American Meteorological Society was held on January 16, 2007. The meeting was called to order at 7:09 p.m. by President Chris Bovitz. Vice President Shelby McQuay and Secretary/Treasurer Lori Bovitz were also in attendance. About 18 members and potential members were also present.

The secretary and treasurer reports were read and approved.

Old business focused on the following: Upcoming Events: After the meeting, Karen Trammell discussed the heat burst that occurred in western Minnesota on July 16, 2006. She described the characteristics of heat bursts, current thoughts on heat burst formation, and some recent heat burst events.

The main characteristic of a heat burst is a sudden increase in temperature, drop in dewpoint, and wind gusts that can exceed severe levels (greater than 60 mph). This usually occurs in the evening when evaporated, cooled downdraft accelerates to the surface. There are usually light precipitation echoes nearby.

Karen pointed out that heat burst detection and prediction is still very limited. Forecasters should be aware of the environment conducive to heat bursts. The characteristics of this environment include an onion-shaped sounding which represents a deep, sub-cloud mixed layer and a shallow surface inversion. The use of DCAPE may be useful in finding areas where downdrafts could accelerate towards the surface. Clues can also be determined from radar data. There is typically a clearing in the ground clutter pattern, a serpentine (or snake-like) pattern in the precipitation echoes on the radar, and in the velocity data mid-level convergence and low-level divergence are detected.

Karen also discussed in more detail the Canby, MN heat burst from July. Temperatures rose to 100 degrees at 1115 p.m. while the dewpoint dropped to 32 degrees and the winds gusted to 63 mph from the south. She also noted the effects spread well into central Minnesota including Appleton and Willmar over the next 4 to 5 hours. Karen was not sure if it was the initial burst spreading out or if it was repeated bursts.---Lori Bovitz.


Tuesday, January 23, 2006
Clifford Hall, Rm. 264
5:00 p.m.

Call to Order:
Past Minutes:
Officer Reports:

Old Business:
New Business:
T-Shirts: Activities: Banquet: Announcements: Adjournment: ---Katy Olson.


January 31, 2007

President - Tara Golden
Vice President - Javier Vazquez
Treasurer - Brandon White
Secretary - Reba Redd
SeCAPS Coordinator - Ronnie Schumann
Webmaster - Jason Holmes

Current and Upcoming Events: SeCAPS: ---Reba Redd.


January Newsletter------Mary Bedrick.


[ About the AMS | Policy Program | Conferences, Meetings, and Symposia ]
[ Education Programs and Resources ]
[ History of Earth Sciences | Journals and Publications | Local Chapter Information | Member Services ]
[ News and Information | Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) ]

[ Disclaimer | Contacts at AMS | Email AMS Web Administrator ]

Return to AMS Home Page Click on Logo to Return to AMS Home Page
© 2000 American Meteorological Society
Headquarters: 45 Beacon Street, Boston, MA 02108-3693
Phone: 617-227-2425; Fax: 617-742-8718