|About | Affiliations | Contact | FAQ | Science, Service, Society | Search | Volunteer|
|Education||Career Center||Exhibits||Meetings||Member Services||News||Policy
About the AMS
The American Meteorological Society promotes the development and dissemination of information and education on the atmospheric and related oceanic and hydrologic sciences and the advancement of
their professional applications. Founded in 1919, AMS
For further information regarding society activities, membership, or general inquiries please send an email to email@example.com.
History of the AMS
The American Meteorological Society was founded in 1919 by Charles Franklin Brooks of the Blue Hill Observatory in Milton, Massachusetts. Its initial membership came primarily from the U.S. Signal Corps and U.S. Weather Bureau and numbered just less than 600. Its initial publication, the Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society, was meant to serve as a supplement to the Monthly Weather Review, which, at the time, was published by the U.S. Weather Bureau. more information...
In the May, 1920 issue of the Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society, there is a brief announcement concerning the submission of designs for a Seal. A Seal Committee, consisting of C.F. Brooks (Secretary) and C.F Marvin (a member of the governing Council) formulated the requirements that "the Seal should show the two Americas, that it should show something meteorological, and that the manifold applications of meteorology should be indicated." A design by Lieut. C.N. Keyser was approved by the Seal Committee and put to a vote before the attendees at the Annual Meeting in 1920. Though there is no record in the Bulletin of a favorable vote, the Seal design seems to have gone into use immediately. more information...
History of the House at 45 Beacon Street
In 1806 Charles Bulfinch (a famous Boston architect) completed the house at 45 Beacon Street for Boston's third mayor, Harrison Gray Otis. Otis resided in this house until his death in 1848. After Otis's death there were three owners of the house until the American Meteorological Society purchased and renovated it in 1958. Executives and staff moved into their new headquarters in 1960. more information...